• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Model 49 with special features

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
this clock was offered on the german aequivalent of Craig´s list and I got it for a verry low sum missing the lower block and the dome. Made in April 1953 with 2 jewels and two leveling devices it has peep holes to watch the escape action ,adjustable pallets and the spring barrel in T4.After a thorough cleaning it is running nicely with ca 360°
For the dome I´m afraid I have to take a plastic one , or has anyone a good idea of how to bore the hole in the top of a glass dome?
Any comments wellcome as usual.Enjoy!
Burkhard

DSCN5264.JPG DSCN5266.JPG DSCN5268.JPG DSCN5271.JPG DSCN5273.JPG DSCN5274.JPG DSCN5275.JPG

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
It takes a long time and patience, but you can drill holes in glass using a sandblaster. Mask off everything but where you want the hole to avoid scratches, of course.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
That looks like a small second barrel spring in there, well have not see that before.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
That second spring barrel is called maintaining power. Schatz introduced that for a limited time but then abandoned it after a time. The idea was that the small spring inside the barrel would come into play as the main spring power wound down. When clocks were sent back for repair or if an owner asked for a replacement arbor/barrel, Schatz just substituted a "regular" arbor instead.

You can search this forum for maintaining power...Frank Servas had a couple of lengthy articles covering this feature and the clock plates that typically had this...the articles are in TorsionTimes. I've had several clocks with this...here's one thread I started regarding servicing the small barrel.

Servicing Schatz with Maintaining Power 3rd Wheel | NAWCC Forums

Kurt

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Seen mainting power on other clocks but a 400 day? Not suprised that did not catch on. Too easy to just make a larger main spring barrel like a 1000day Schatz and only use the center of the wind.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Probably was an attempt at an innovative feature to put Schatz ahead of other makers. Didn't really pan out...

Kurt

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
afaik Bill Ellison -former owner of Horolovar- made an extensive research in the function of this device including a motion picture recorded in step motion showing that the supposed effect of it didn ´t work; but it ads about 1-2 weeks to the clocks running. In any case something a bit extraordinary.
Burkhard

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I think the idea that the sprung third wheel was intended as maintaining power is a bit far fetched. Every 400 day clock I have running I have to stop and move in order to wind, unlike the gravity or balance pendulum clocks that I can wind in place. With the dome secured to the clock, as would be the case for Burkhard, it would be nearly impossible to remove the dome to wind without disturbing the pendulum or stopping the clock. I'm thinking it was intended to even out the power reaching the escapement as the clock runs through the year. I think that's a reasonable assumption seeing how that wheel is found along with the jeweled anchor pivots. It seems like Schatz was trying to fix an escapement problem.

Eric

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Thank You all for Your input. I´ll follow Harry´s advice , ordered a set of diamond drills. I´ll let You know how it worked out .
Burkhard

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Comming back to this clock and drilling a hole in the dome to attach the handle : the original (schatz) dome is 23.7mm high -measured from the base to the edge of the hole- while most of my domes -either period or new- are 25 cm or even higher, so the threaded post to skrew the handle to will not protrude enough over the glass dome , in other words : the dome has to be shortened. Any idea of how to do that without breaking (too many) domes? TIA for any insight!
Burkhard

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Kurt , thank You for the link.I hope to find time over the comming holydays to give it a try.Will keep You updated!
Burkhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennifer123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller