Chronometry: Model 21 mystery part?

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by MrRoundel, Jun 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, so maybe it's just me. I was finally getting to the point where I was installing the balance in my Model 21 chronometer. Then, in with the screws for the HS stud, I found a silver colored bushing (spacer). I thought, hmmm..., where does this go? In the screw recess in the balance cock? No. Hmm...I guess I'd better check the parts list.

So far I don't see it anywhere. At first I thought it might be the fusee or barrel bushing, but the realized that those were the brass bushings in the upper plate. Can someone give me a clue on where it goes? It fits well inside the balance-cock screw recess, as if it was a spacer, but the screw doesn't seem to pass through all the way, and it would probably cause the screw head to sit too high. Hints? Answers? Help? Thanks.

DSC06570.JPG

2. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mystery solved. I went to Bunn Spl's tear-down video and saw that it's a spacer that goes under the outside of the balance-stop arm that was only on the early Model 21s. Fortunately, the one he shows in his video has the balance-stop setup, and I saw the part. I don't believe the book mentions the balance-stop arm at all. Cheers.