Mobile device support on the Message Board

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Tom McIntyre, Apr 12, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Would you use a mobile device interface for the Message Board

1. Yes, I need a better mobile device interface

67 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Possibly, I sometimes want to visit the Message Board from my mobile device

40 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Unlikely, I do not use my mobile device on the Internet

57 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. No, I don't use a mobile device or cell phone

24 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The software we use on the Message Board supports the use of special formats for mobile devices. This capability has not been promoted because the administrators have not had much experience with such devices.

The latest version release of the software has integrated support for ForumRunner, which is a proprietary product for smart phones to support forum software integration.

We would like to know how many of our users are or would use mobile devices to interact with the Message Board. Please respond to the poll questions.

Thank you.

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    To quote Austin Powers: "Yah baby!!"

RM

3. wsmith

wsmith Registered User

Jan 9, 2010
    Honolulu
    Region Flag:
    Tom IS the ForumRunner software something that is installed on the mobile phones as an app, or would one just view through their web browser and the ForumRunner software is on the server side of things? Please and thanks

4. Norman Bliss

Norman Bliss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Educator
    Springfield, Hampden Co.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ForumRunner is an app you download to your device; the basic version for my iPad was free. Supposedly it works better than the device's native browsers, like Safari on the iPad, when visiting message boards like ours with a mobile device. As I understand it, the message board has to activate or install a module that works with ForumRunner.

5. Shayne

Shayne Registered User

Dec 17, 2008
    Bombay, India
    Country Flag:
    It would make it so much more fun if you could just post pics from your iphone or ipad.
    I See, I click , I share . :eek:

Shayne

6. Jeff C

Jeff C Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

May 26, 2005
    Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ForumRunner is quite east to use as well. On the Android market its $1.99 for the full version.

7. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As I understand it, our software will recognize the device and use the appropriate facilities to communicate with the device.

As mentioned above, there are free and full versions available. There is also the option to have a branded version in the store for something like "NAWCCrunner" that would be free for users of this facility. That would cost us $399/year, but may be worth the cost if it offers enough improvement for the users here.

The current response sounds like we should consider offering it. When you see our version number change to 4.1.12 ForumRunner will be available.

8. Mike Dempsey

Mike Dempsey Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Jul 8, 2006
    Elm Grove
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    Thanks for doing this.

9. bajaddict

bajaddict Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    re: mobile

I am using icabmobile on my iPad. It works better than safari - what doesn't? - but it is still hit and miss when I try to log on.

I got some help from the admins..... but I still have to sign in every time. It's not too bad, however, and worth the effort to access the board's resources.

10. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Tom McIntyre, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

One downside to mobile support is that the idea attracts spammers. There have been 8 spam hits on this thread in 1 day. I am pretty sure that is a record for us. :eek:

11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:

You're to be congratulated on having such a popular poll and thread.:clap::whistle: Do you think they got a chance to vote? I also wonder whether this might be a reason to go slow on the idea.

12. DragonDan

DragonDan Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2009
    sales
    Phoenix, AZ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I've used the ForumRunner app on my Android phone for a good while now - it really is easy to use. I broke the bank and paid the $2 for the full version.
    Excellent suggestion!

13. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User
    Donor

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:

Iv'e only just got a phone with internet accsess.I managed to get on the site but wasn't able to reply to posts. But then again i'm not all that clued with with this sort of thing

14. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An excellent idea. I access the forum almost daily from my Android phone but find it unwieldy in its current form. Additionally, while I can respond in written form, I can not post photos VIA my phone. This is a good idea.

15. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Sponsor Donor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never used my toaster to dry silverware but have lit a cigar or two with my soldering aarn. Yeah. Probably a great ideer! Wonder whether it'll use Garmon or Magellan.

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should think this over Scotty. If you get an iPhone you can have Siri explain to you what the people are talking about. :)

17. AGKING

AGKING Registered User

Apr 15, 2012
    I would enjoy this feature

18. wsmith

wsmith Registered User

Jan 9, 2010
    Honolulu
    Region Flag:
    Tom et. al. Will this proposed ap/upgrade work on android phone/moble devices too? Thanks

19. Will this 'upgrade' cause the messed up formatting and unreadable characters that plague so many other forums
    that support mobile devices? That nonsense is really annoying!

20. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are still unanswered questions for us, but the design uses a specific set of styles for mobile devices and does not, as I understand it, affect the other templates. I do not own a device to check these things out. I may pick up an Android device (LG Lucid) to see how it all works with ForumRunner.

There have been add-in applications available to support these devices for several years, so I hope that most of the glitches have been identified and eliminated in the upgrade.

21. John Webb

John Webb Registered User

Mar 23, 2006
    Real Estate Broker/Farm Management
    Blue Ridge Mountains Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might be worth trying a couple of different mobile converters to see which looks the best on the most phones. I understand the ones that require an app to be downloaded on the phone might offer the most functionality, but I've seen some that look pretty good on the phone browsers w/ no app and still would only require a small bit of code to be uploaded on our server.

22. darrahg

darrahg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would use this feature. However, I already use my ipad for researching when I am out on the road buying watches. I can access Google and search for web sites that have research articles and photos of watch movements. I read and view these for movement identification and comparision. I think it is a great tool. I do not need any other app except for Google. I think it is worth a try. Remove it later if it does not prove to be an effective tool.

23. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Our current styles do not include a mobile style selection. We tried that during testing with mixed results. I believe the available styles are better now but it would still take some work to customize them a bit for the NAWCC.

The ForumRunner support is part of the next release of the software. We will be able to use it or not as we choose.

I downloaded an iPad emulator for my laptop to see if I could duplicate a problem a member was having, but that seemed to have problems of its own. I ran Safari on it to connect here.

24. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I access the site now and have an icon for it on my iPhone!
    Paul

25. keys2la

keys2la Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Business Representative for Operating Engineers Lo
    Redondo Beach CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In would like to access the site from my iPad as well!!

Mario.................

26. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whoa! You guys don't mess around! Logged in on my android phone to a whole new look. Will let you know how it works out. Thx in advance though. Much appreciated.

27. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok. Now its gone again. Am I seeing things or simply lost my mind? *shrug* No matter.

28. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It has not yet been installed, but your phone is also capable of changing the interface without our help.