Mixed wood veneer?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by spxer, Oct 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. spxer

spxer Registered User

Jun 20, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I am restoring a Seth Thomas short drop wooden works clock. I have owned the the clock for around 50 years. I bought it in damaged condition. Case parts are missing etc. The veneer on the top appears to be walnut. So I am replacing it with walnut veneer and looking closer at the sides of the clock, they appear to be mahogany. The top (what there is left of it) does not appear to be replaced. Is it possible Seth Thomas made the clock with mixed wood veneers?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. On some of their hanging clocks they used both Walnut and Rosewood, on others they used Walnut and Mahogany. Go with your instincts ;)

3. spxer

spxer Registered User

Jun 20, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. If I had some real mahogany veneer, I would go all mahogany. I don't, so it will have to be stained walnut. Picture shows the different veneer.

DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG

4. spxer

spxer Registered User

Jun 20, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Update on the rebuilding of the top. One corner repaired and the other made from scratch. I am using a repo eagle splat.

DSCF0004 (1).JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

5. spxer

spxer Registered User

Jun 20, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Caps made and eagle fitted.

DSCF0008.JPG

6. spxer

spxer Registered User

Jun 20, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Here is the case with the finish on. Despite my dark staining, you can see the difference in the wood on the tops above the columns. I am wondering if I should try to darken the top some more.

DSCF0009.JPG

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The work looks good, but I would darken them. It bothers me the way it is.

Tom

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, I agree, the work is very neat but it does need to be darkened. It's a fine looking case - when you've finished, could you post a photo of the whole clock?

JTD

9. spxer

spxer Registered User

Jun 20, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Added more stain over the finish. Looks good so far. I will let dry thoroughly and finish over that.

10. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ditto,generally these cases were stained first with a wash coat of "barn red" then a dark reddish brown.
    hope this helps
    tom