Missing trim wood type?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Will R, Sep 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Will R

Will R Registered User

Aug 31, 2019
    Male
    Manchester, U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi guys,

I’ve recently acquired a really nice HAC clock which will be a great second clock to work on servicing, repairing and restoring.

The case, whilst in generally good shape, is missing some of it’s decorative trim at the bottom. I am keen to craft a piece to fill the small missing section between the two existing pieces.

Having little experience in this area I was wondering if anyone has any idea what type of wood this might be so that I can match it? Or will it matter what type of wood it is/be noticeable once there is shellac on it? I’ve attached some pictures below of the case and a close up of the section in question.

Thank you,
    Will.

FB89A56A-2CE7-4F98-AFB4-E345D3920A3E.jpeg 6CD02C0D-D5E9-40C8-BBB9-A406FEF7E1E6.jpeg

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will, I remember seeing a piece of that trim somewhere in my bone pile. I will look for it if you are interested.
    Will Walker

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like oak to me. Are you skilled enough to recreate the pattern?

Tom

4. Will R

Will R Registered User

Aug 31, 2019
    Male
    Manchester, U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Will and Tom,

Thank you for your replies.

I wasn’t sure this would be something anyone would have a spare for! If I measure the trim up for size later today it would be great to see if it matches up to your spare piece, thank you.

I haven’t made anything like this particular trim before but I have an idea of how I would go about it and luckily quite a bit of spare oak from a box I’ve made in the past. I always want things to be perfect so even if it took a good few trials to get right I think I would be able to make something I’m happy with eventually.

Will.

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It will be a challenge, but doable and if you can get it to look okay or better, it will be rewarding. Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

6. Will R

Will R Registered User

Aug 31, 2019
    Male
    Manchester, U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It seems to be about 3.2mm deep by about 5.5mm diameter. I think it could be a neat little challenge to try to perfect over the course of the service and repair journey. Still quite new to clock repair so not in any big rush to get it completed. Thank you for the offer though Will, it’s really kind for you to offer to find the spare for me (I may be in contact if it goes terribly wrong!).

It sure Will, I hope to do it justice, however many attempts it takes to get right! Thank you Tom, will make sure to keep you updated.

Will.

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are those "balls" glued on individually or carved into the piece? I've done a fair amount if carving and I am trying to figure it how I would approach it...

Tom

8. Will R

Will R Registered User

Aug 31, 2019
    Male
    Manchester, U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The balls a joined together as a strip but glued onto the case. I have a fair amount of oak left over so can do a number to trial pieces until I get it right. Having also never used shellac before it will be an interesting learning curve. I believe it’s best to approach shellac in multiple lighter layers rather than trying to get it right in one coat so will do a number of test pieces and label them for future reference so I can look back at and compare them.

Will.

9. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be tempted to replace the entire piece rather than fill it in.

Ron

10. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. It will probably be easier to make all new than to get a partial section to match.

Tom

11. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. It will probably be easier to make all new than to get a partial section to match.

Tom

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shellac should definitely be applied in thin layers. See here for a lot of information:

Shellac tutorials

Uhralt

13. Will R

Will R Registered User

Aug 31, 2019
    Male
    Manchester, U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A great point and certainly the better way to approach it I think. I’ll work ahead with it that way. Thank you.

Thanks Uhralt, there’s a lot of great information and advice in the link you provided, it will help a lot for the coming trim replacement.

Will.

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks to me like it might just be a series of wooden buttons glued to the back board.

15. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, that is why asked if they were individual or carved in place. I think it would be easier to glue on a series of buttons than to try to carve each one in place.

Tom

16. Clocks In The Grove

Clocks In The Grove Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The little balls can be carved using the bead from a beadboard, or make your own bead using hand plane or router. The bead should be about the size of the ball you want to make. Then take a gouge that has a radius about the size of the balls and outline the each ball with the correct spacing between them. Remove waste between the balls. Cut the bead strip from the board and insert into the clock case.
    The Woodwright did this on one of his shows on PBS in the USA.
    OR find a wood carver.
    ..Bob..

17. Will R

Will R Registered User

Aug 31, 2019
    Male
    Manchester, U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Shutterbug, Tom & Bob,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been away for a short break over the weekend. That’s a great point. It really would be easier to do them individually than to create a whole 1 piece strip. I imagine broken pieces everywhere trying to put that together. I’ll try out some test pieces based on your advice, see how they go and keep you updated! :D

Will.