Help Policy Missing Threads

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Dick C, Sep 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yesterday evening and this morning I posted a reply to messages in two different threads started by Dondidio.

Last evening after two hours of my research I posted the results stating that the clock dial that he had shown was used to measure lawyers billing hours.

This morning I went looking for the post and all of it appears to have been deleted with no notification to those that had responded to the initial post within the thread.

So, I then went to what had been a second thread by Dondidio asking that the post in the electrical horology section be deleted because it was redundant. The second post was in the electrical horology section.
    Finding this active post I entered. I responded to the first post indicating it was a lawyers billing hours clock.

So this evening searching for this second thread it seems that someone has deleted this thread as well.

I am beginning to believe that it is a waste of my time and the time of those that had responded to the initial thread.

Why don't you notify those that had replied to the initial postings that you have removed the thread?

Rather than removing the thread, why not remove or put an indication in what you might deem to be a bad post rather than removing the complete thread?

Were they removed and why?

Thank you

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The two threads in question concerned an item that was put up for sale on eBay. As it is well known, and just as well forgotten, our rules prohibit discussions of such items. The OP of the threads posted that he had put it on eBay, and one other member added his two cents that he thought discussion of such items was not allowed. I had no choice. My apologies to those who were offended.

My suggestions:
    1. If an item you wish discussed is for sale, do not rush to inform us. It will not aid the discussion.
    2. If you discover an item under discussion is on eBay, do not post to that effect in the thread. Use the Report function.
    3. Do not discuss items for sale on eBay to begin with. If it is discovered, in whatever way, we will have to remove it. However, if the auction ends, and the item sells, we can restore the thread if we are alerted to that fact. In this we rely on the person who initiated the discussion. We do not have the time to follow all such situations, nor is it our job. We rarely find out about a sold item, so my assumption is that the discussion is not all that important.

Yes, we are inconsistent in how we handle things. That happens when we try to use our judgment. And some like to complain about that. Anyone who would like to help out, simply volunteer to be a moderator and try your hand at it. That's better than hissing and booing from the cheap seats. And the salary is good - all the calumny you can pocket.

PatH likes this.