Missing Pendulum

IanJ

Feb 26, 2011
Sittingbourne, Kent
Country
Hello, I just registered on the forum and this is my first post. I just bought an old Smiths K6A 521 Westminster chime mantel clock but it came without a pendulum. Can anyone let me know what type, weight, length of pendulum I need to buy to get the clock working properly?

It may be a dumb question to ask but I'm new to this and hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ian

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
IanJ;534870 said:
Hello, I just registered on the forum and this is my first post. I just bought an old Smiths K6A 521 Westminster chime mantel clock but it came without a pendulum. Can anyone let me know what type, weight, length of pendulum I need to buy to get the clock working properly?

It may be a dumb question to ask but I'm new to this and hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ian
Welcome, Ian! Could you provide a picture of the back of the movement for us? From that we can offer some assistance.

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
these are usually brass and about 3 - 4 inches lond but you cannot go and buy one off the shelf. your best bet is ebay. these are very common clocks but getting the right pend is not easy sometimes.

are you sure you have the leader - the piiece of brass between the suspnson spring and pendulum? which the crutch fits through? - crutch being the part that drives the leader.

weight doesn't matter too much as much as the length of the pendulum as the length determines the timekeeping. bob on pend is about 1 and a half inches diameter.

IanJ

Feb 26, 2011
Sittingbourne, Kent
Country
shutterbug;534872 said:
Welcome, Ian! Could you provide a picture of the back of the movement for us? From that we can offer some assistance.
Hello again, thanks for the welcome and the prompt responses. Shutterbug, as requested I've attached a jpeg image of the back of the movement and hope you can help.

I'm learning all the time so thanks Oldticker for the comments. Hope you can tell from the photo whether things are ok with the mechanism. Doesn't sound promising from what you've said if they can't be bought off the shelf and ebay is the only option. Hey ho, live and learn.:eek:

Any advice gratefully received.

Ian 85367.jpg

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your pendulum will run fairly close to the chime rods. Something like Timesavers 19810 or 10254 would work, depending on the length.

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
this the exact pendulum you need - unfortunarely i don't have one to measure at the moment.

ignore the key as it is not for the same clock. 85463.jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Ian i have a very similar clock.I could measure my pendulum if you like.:)

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
The stamping on the back plate should give you the pend. length, in inches or centimeters.

mkm

Feb 23, 2011
I've the same problem with my smith Enfield westminster chime mantel clock and have bought a pendulum and winding key for it on ebay. there are some more listed on there now, with a few days to go. Most seem to be hook fitting, but my clock's leader looks like it should have a kind of pin fitting like the one shown on the DeCarle's diagram on the parts terminology page. Hope I can adapt it to fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmitry Mor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry