Missing pendulum.

stewart

Aug 25, 2004
Hello All

The following pictures are of a GF movement that is missing the pendulum (How many pendulums do you think the moving companies have?). Does anyone know what I need here, was there a leader? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. The logo is of a castle and it says monastery below it. Made in Germany.

Thanks Stewart

Attachments

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
Although it is possible the pendulum hung direct from the suspension spring it would have been the exception rather than the rule. You might check the clock case, etc. Most pendulum of that age were for clocks that used 96-116 cm. Measured from the suspension post to the rating nut. A wide range and you might look at the case parameters and see what looks right as a start.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Yeah - especially that shouldered notch in the crutch would seem to suggest that a pendulum leader was there and that the pendulum hung from the leader. Not that it matters. It'll run and regulate with or without a leader. I suspect the leader was a feature to lower pendulum attaching point for convenience of access.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The leader will be just a brass strip like those on the average Napoleon, and will end about 1-3cm below the crutch, for the reasons that Scottie says.
It will have a double hook at the top and a pin at the bottom unless there is a beat adjustment there.

The rod could be wood with a brass double hook at the top.

Patrick R

Jun 22, 2006
Stewart,
Here is a pic of a leader that is probly going to look pretty close to what you are looking for for your clock. The pic of this leader is from a Junghans movement. Hope this helps.
Pat

Attachments

stewart

Aug 25, 2004
Hello Mark, Scottie, Mike and Patrick

Thank you for your input. You've all helped a lot as usual. I've got something to work with now.

Thanks again Stewart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry