Missing parts for "Remember" Resch Vienna

David Dewey

Dec 22, 2011
Northern California
home.surewest.net
Country
Region
Greetings!
I just acquired (Very cheaply too!) a Resch "Remember" dual weight Vienna Regulator. This poor clock has had a rough life apparently, as the case has no top & bottom decorative work, just some crudely made square boxes--however, I think the main case and door are original . It's one of the 200000 series, #54176 -- if anyone has figured out a serial number dating. It is missing one pulley, and both weights. Any parts out there--or does anyone know how much the weights should weigh & size. Oh, and a key would be nice, although those are pretty standard (aren't they?)!
Then there's the matter of the case--leave it as is as a primitive, or restore it following photos of similar clocks?
Thanks all.
David D.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
CONGRATS! Sounds like a fun project. Pulleys, weights, and key - actually a crank. I know it was tongue in cheek but next to nothing viennawise is standard. If anything is close to standard, it may be amount of weights. Typically, most if not all will run on three pounds. So you'll be searching for a matching pair of 3 pound weights. Pulleys? Your preference. Again they should match. I prefer the ones with open crossings and simple carrier. Embossed carriers do look nice as well. Altho crank size is not standard as they range typically from 000 smallest to 2 or 3. I find the majority use either size "0" or "1". You might buy an inexpensive new crank and when you establish size, then you can look for an old one with wood or bone handle. The winding arbors are tapered so may accept both 1 and 0 but I prefer that crank bottoms on arbor with no rocking slop.
CONGRATS and g'luck matey!

David Dewey

Dec 22, 2011
Northern California
home.surewest.net
Country
Region
Scottie,
Ah, so I have the weight range, any Ideas on the diameter? I know it must clear the pendulum, so I could probably figure that one out! Since I have one of the pulleys, I'm hoping to match it, and it is a simple cross w/pulley. If I can't find it, I DO have a lathe (a bit large for clock work--it's an 11 x 57" job) and can braze. . . .
No big rush on this one, lots of other things to do like finish the house, and then clean & lube the grandmother clock so She Who Must Be Obeyed will finally have her clock in the house and running! (Another great buy from the same shop too--missing the weights (is there a pattern here?)) But that's a modern clock, bought new in Oct 1983--yes all the paperwork came with it, including the record of time payments!
Ah yes, Crank! I should have known better, being a model T owner myself (you can spot us, we're usually cranky & trying to start something!) heh heh heh.
Any recommendations as to the cabling? What is on the clock now is mono-filament nylon--probably from someone's fishing tackle box!
Many thanks & Merry Christmas all!
David Dewey

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, David, welcome to the message board. Actually fishing line is what I use on Viennas, but I use braided. The last line I bought is Stren Sonic Braid, 50 pounds test. It's a dark green color, and very thin for it's test rating. If you fish at all, you will find a good use for what you don't put in the clock.
Merry Christmas

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I use similar which is black filament cord used to string dial cord on old radios.
A typical three pound Vienna weight here is 1 and 1/2" dia. and 4" tall.
Toss up a closeup picture of your pulley along with the diameter of the wheel. I may have one that matches.
Also measure the outer and inner ends of the tapered winding arbor across the flats. I may also have a serviceable crank.

Attachments

David Dewey

Dec 22, 2011
Northern California
home.surewest.net
Country
Region
Sorry it has taken this long to respond. Something about an important event. . .
Harold,
Hmm, dark green you say--that sounds like the identical line used for stringing American Flyer crane cars (toy trains), so I can always use extra! And I've been meaning to get some too. . .(never put off today what you can do tomorrow. . .):D
Scottie,
Great, photos attached (if this works) also pics of the entire clock. There was an identical pulley on eBay, and I slept in this morning and was outbid!! AAUGH--I knew I should have bid higher, but my "George Burns" tendency was working--besides, no one else was bidding! Dumb Dumb Dumb!
So, here I am, still looking for one pulley, and two weights. Now, I do have lots of brass tubing around here, and a lathe, so I COULD make some weights (hmm, have to find the brass for the ends though. Let see, that should take about 6 hours to do. . . .) :rolleyes:
So, looking at the clock case pics. I think--maybe-- the center of the case is original, but it looks like someone "simplified" the top and bottom, and the sides of the door (trim pieces). Would love to hear from anyone about this part, and should I leave it alone as a "primitive" or try to find a picture of the same clock and reproduce the trim pieces? Yeah, long-term project here--but I like a challenge! :)
Thanks all! & Happy New Year, if I don't post before.
-> posts merged by system <-
I forgot two things!
The winding stems appear to be 3/32" across the flats at their base--I'd have to take the face off to get to the ends & not ready for that yet!
And the second thing was the picture of the mechanism!
Thanks!
Oh, that little brass piece off to the side is one of the pulley stops on the bottom of the plates--no Idea why it's broken off, but easy fix--and the piece has stayed with the clock all this time!
David

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Yeah, shame; apparently little remains of case save perhaps the door frame and case skeleton. Certainly you could improve on it . Can't make out exactly what's on the backboard but often that is a bookmatch lively crotch veneer. You could replace the top pieces with nice inverted cornice moldings. If you have a bandsaw you can make a nice ogee or simple single curved base. I'd eliminate the wooden surround at top of door. Viennas seldom have that. In all, you're pretty much not gonna make it original but you can improve it's looks. Also, base pieces are VERY common on eBay.de.
Yeah, I've made MANY of my own weights using thin wall brass tubing. Caps? You can make them with a circle cutter in a drillpress.
Alas I have not a matching pulley. Won't be too hard to find tho.
Thanks for sharing!

David Dewey

Dec 22, 2011
Northern California
home.surewest.net
Country
Region
Scottie,
Thanks for the reply. Back piece is just a walnut veneer, no bookmatching. Other than the door face wood, which also has a walnut veneer, the entire case looks to be made of a softwood, such as pine or fir. Would this be normal?
Also, the glass is held in the door by four small woodblocks, the round one bya a few metal glazier's points and some brownish compound. The case glass is just held in with some small finish nails. This just doesn't seem right to me, I'd think there would have been a piece of molding tacked there--but I've not looked at regulator clock cases before, so I know almost nothing about them!
Yes, in looking at some pictures of similar clocks, it does look like the bottom could be made with some hardwood crown molding (or woodgrained softwood). I like doing woodworking, so this would be fun to do (OK, so fun is different for each person)--but the project will have to wait until I do the wood on my '25 T!
The sides of the door must have had some decorative molding on them too, as it's been replaced with some corner molding wood (crudely nailed on). Any Ideas there?
Maybe I should post all these case questions on another thread?
I hadn't thought about cutting the weight caps out of a piece of flatstock, hmmm. . . thinking cap (pun intended) on!
Well, I like to bring early cars "back from the dead" so here I go again!!
Thanks much!
David D.

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I like your guts and enthusiasm. Casewise, your imagination is your only limit. Look at a lot of pictures and you'll get plenty of inspiration for how you'd like yours to look.
Yeah you could. Start a topic on the case down in that "Case Restoration" forum directly below this one and you'll get many more suggestions and counsel there! Great idea.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There's also a thread around here somewhere that has several pages of Vienna pictures. Might be under any of the 'Vienna" names.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winter Steelheader
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller