Missing part for a Gustav Becker Pendulum Clock

rjmcdonald

Jul 13, 2009
I'm looking for a photo or drawing of what i believe to be the fork on a GB clock. It attaches the suspension arm to the round suspension post in the photo. this part is missing and i need to make one.

Attachments

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Hello and welcome to the NAWCC message board. What I am seeing in your photo is called the"crutch" and the round part fits into a slot in the pendulum rod which hangs in the top back of the case. Do you have the pendulum? It's possible that the suspension spring is missing and/or broken....A photo of the top inside of the case and the pendulum rod would help.

If this is not what you mean then I don't understand your posting...

The photo below illustrates what I am talking about.

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hey RJ-

Welcome to the Message Board!

This style of clock doesn't have a leader and nothing is hung from the post in your photo (crutch pin). The pendulum hangs on the suspension spring which is attached to a post on the back of the clock. The crutch pin passes through a slot in the pendulum stick and is the only connection between the pendulum and the movement.

If you have the proper pendulum, you should have everything you need.

(I see Richard T beat me to it!)

Regards,

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
A tad redundant mebbe but here's a closeup of LAB's description. If that's a picture of the movement in question - it looks complete, crutchwise.
The post indexes a metal plate on the pendulum, called a wearplate - a wearplate, because it wears instead of the wood wearing if it had none.

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
RJ, welcome to the Message Board. From your movement photos you have a clock that was made at the Gustav Becker factory in Braunau, Bohemia. I will appreciate if you could post photos of the full clock and also the movement back plate, and also let us know the serial number stamped on the movement. From that info I can date your clock quite accurately and may be able to provide some more info about the model and type.

I agree with LaBounty that the only thing that appears to be missing is the pendulum, which would look exctly like the one posted by Richard.

rjmcdonald

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the help i got the Pendulum hung last night, no problems. I just got this clock at an estate sale and they imported it from Germany in 1975 and it has not run or been worked on since. Should I change the nylon thread before i hang the weights? I'm been looking for a good diagram as to how to correctly run the chains haven't found one yet. Also, where to apply any oil? The serial no. of the clock is 392183.

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Thanks for the help i got the Pendulum hung last night, no problems. I just got this clock at an estate sale and they imported it from Germany in 1975 and it has not run or been worked on since. Should I change the nylon thread before i hang the weights? I'm been looking for a good diagram as to how to correctly run the chains haven't found one yet. Also, where to apply any oil? The serial no. of the clock is 392183.
RJ, your clock is unusual and different to any I've seen yet from the Braunau factory. I suspect the case was custom made, however it certainly fits the style of the time and is very well made. It could be a factory case but I would need to see another one like it to confirm that possibility. It appears the clock part of the case is fixed to the bottom cabinet, is that correct?

Based on the serial number, the clock was made in 2nd quarter 1905. The grand sonnerie striking movements were only made at Braunau, I have not seen any that were made in the Freiburg factory. The rod gong on your clock is a little unusual in that it has two rods on the quarter strike side. Would it be possible to see a photo of the gong with the movement taken out of the case? A photo of the back of the movement would be appreciated, and also of the weights and pendulum bob.

In looking closely at the nylon cord now on the clock, I see it is braided rather than a single filament. Unless you see visible damage to the cord, I think you would be OK to use it. Regarding oiling, the fact that the clock hasn't run for 34 years could mean that the oil on the pivots may have dried out or congealed. Ordinarily I would recommend that the movement be completely disassembled and cleaned, reassembled and properly oiled to ensure satisfactory long term operation. However, you could first test the clock by placing just a drop of clock oil at each pivot both on the front and the back, then running it for a short while to see if there are any problems with the striking mechanism or other parts.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollodog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller