• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Missing pallet fork

shahbaz

New User
Feb 22, 2013
Hi There everyone,
I have bought an Elgin 18s with S/N 4946759 which has a broken Balance Pivot, and missing pallet fork.
I need to know what kind of pallet fork is used in this pocket watch. Is there a picture of this pallet fork available?
Further, is there any service manual for this Pocket watch.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Shahbaz

Attachments

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
This takes pallet part number 596. It has the regular pallet fork at one end and another fork at the other end that goes around the escape arbor. You would need to pick up a comprehensive parts book for Elgin. I have a reprint of the 1915 catalog I purchased off of ebay a few years ago. This also take a #857 balance staff. Of course the pivots on the staffs may vary depending on the jeweling. Being this is a 7 jewel model, the pivots would likely be the larger of any listed. Hope this helped somewhat.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Shahbaz,

First, Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board !

We have a Watch Repair Forum where questions like this may get better results but richie has answered your question and more.

If you new to collecting and repairs you may want to reconsider putting this much into a 7 Jewel Elgin watch?

eBay has many watches like this for a very small amount of money. If you get a great amount of satisfaction in doing repairs like this , that may be your reward.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
From what the parts book shows, that is the correct one for the part number. Just have to match the pivot size unless they were all the same.

onsite

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2011
CehNehDeh
Country
Region
Shahbaz, google elginwatchparts.com, and you will end up here.

Put in grade 73 which you can find from your serial number further down the page and you will get a list of parts for your watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent