• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

IBM Missing glass from IBM Slave Clock

telechro

Dec 27, 2008
I have an IBM Slave clock that was installed in 1920 (Eastman Kodak, Rochester NY). The clock is missing the glass as well as the spline that held it in-place. All of my other slave clocks have the spline inside the case, however this one looks like the spline is on the outside. Since I don't have the glass or spline, I was wondering the size of both. If I have the glass cut to the edge, there is no room for the spline. I have part of a 1/4" spline which fits, but the glass then needs to be cut short

IMG_3407.JPG IMG_3408.JPG

John Lippold

NAWCC Member
Feb 2, 2011
Hi Telechro, your clock originally had a circular wire hoop retaining the single strength protection glass. The diameter of the wire is approximately .200". The single strength glass is retained by the wire hoop using seven small brads which go through small .043" (#57 drill) holes drilled through the wire at 45 degree outward angles around the periphery of the wire. If you enlarge the photo I believe you can see the brads. The brads are located approximately at minutes 32, 40 1/2, 50 1/2, 60, 9, 19 & 28 1/2. The glass will have to be cut just a tiny bit smaller to allow room for the brads to go by the edge of the glass. Best of luck with your restoration... John

1-12 Slave.jpg

telechro

Dec 27, 2008
Thank you for the post, your clock looks great and it really helped me out. I tried one of the spring retainers from a newer IBM all clock with the convex glass, however that is too small. Since I don't think I'll be able to find the metal retaining ring, I'll use a wood spline the same diameter (these are easy to obtain as they are used for caning chairs.

telechro

Dec 27, 2008
I thought I would post a picture of the completed clock. I purchased a piece of chair caning that I cut to fit and hold the glass. I stained the caning to match the case used clear calking to secure the glass, frame and caning. It worked out great and the clock is working perfectly. Thanks again for your help and pictures...mitch.

ibm clock.jpg

Reactions: Dave T
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accuraterubber
Encyclopedia Pages