Minute wheel binding.

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
I have recently reassemble a Mauthe movement. I noticed that the minute wheel appears wore out as it wobbles on the shaft (wrong name). Will the wheel wear out before the shaft? The movement will run without the minute and hour wheels. Put them back on and it stops after a few minutes. I suspect the wobbly minute wheel is causing it to stop. Am I on the right track? Any other ideas? Thank you for your assistance.

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
Hello bangster, I'll try. Also, I had the movement running for a couple of days, until I moved it away from the chime. Both clocks going was a bit much for the wife. Now I can not get it to run again. All I did was slide it forward on the mount?? Thank you for getting back to me. Wayne

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2540.JPG IMG_2541.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That intermediate wheel might be a replacement, or posibly the post was replaced with a smaller post (unlikely).
The mesh looks shallow at the minute hand gear but pretty good at the snail.

Make sure the thin larger driven gears, on the snail and rear of the intermediate wheel, are both running near the center of the smaller but wider gears that drive them. It is a common problem for binding to occur when. any of these gears are running to close together. Small washers can be used to make things better. Willie X

BNSF2015

Dec 11, 2017
Country
Thank you Willie X and Wow. I will look into what you suggested and the possibility of the gear(s) being incorrect. I'll let you know how I make out. Again thank you. Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleksi peikrishvili
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff