Minute repeating chronograph with a small difference

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by SKennedy, May 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SKennedy

SKennedy Registered User

Jan 5, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Here's a minute repeating chronograph that recently crossed my bench that the owner was eager I shared. The watch was originally sold in the Chinese market by a dealer called 'Ullman'. The 'Concisas Brevitas' trademark that is mostly hidden under a hammer when the movement is together is that of the firm Meylan.

IMG_0174.jpg

On first glance it all looks par for the course for one of this type of movement but the speed regulating device for the repeat work is a little different from those usually seen. It is a horizontal fly as I would normally associate with a clock striking mechanism, driven by a worm wheel/pinion arrangement. The thrust of the end pivot of the worm is taken up by a polished steel end plate. It is quite silent in operation like the disc with pivoted weights more usually seen and perhaps has a packaging advantage in some ways. That there is a hole right though the plate means that they have painted/enamelled the back of the dial with gold in the area you can see so it is more pleasing to the eye rather than just seeing the murky counter enamel.
    Quite a pleasing arrangement to watch in action.

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

2. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "Meylan" to which you refer I understand to be J. Meylan-Truan, a firm wholly unrelated, as far as I know, to C.H. Meylan, which I collect.

3. dshumans

dshumans Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Very cool! I have probably repaired 100 repeaters over the years and have never seen one.

SKennedy likes this.
  4. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Very neat fan wheel. Just like those in music boxes. Coincidentally, today I serviced a quarter repeating chrono calendar by A. Lugrin. The trademark was also hidden beneath one of the hammers. You really have to dig deep to find it! It had heretofore been unidentified. The owner will, I hope, be pleased to learn the maker of their watch.-Cort

5. Philip Poniz

Philip Poniz Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Princeton, NJ
    Nice photos! The patent refers to the layout, not the governor.

Jules Meylan-Truan Co (as Ethan rightly corrected) of Sentier, could not patent the worm (endless screw) governor because the Swiss had been using it for over a hundred years, mostly in their music
    and singing bird boxes. So, the patent of 1891 punched on the watch, referring to the layout, had a standard anchor governor. Then, in 1894, what should not have had happened, happened. He got a patent for this worm governor!

Meylan-Truan worm type governor pat 1894 A.jpg

The Swiss were quite liberal in granting patents of already existing mechanisms, a book could be written about it.
    For another example see "The Mystery Behind the Gyromax Balance" thread.

Meylan-Truan advertised many types of complicated watches. In 1878 Paris Exposition he exhibited Chronometers, Clock Watches, Independent Seconds watches, calendars, etc. However, this type of repeater was what he is remembered for. They are relatively popular, come in yellow or white plating.

Regardless of the fact that his company was called Meylan-Truan & Sons*, one of his sons, Eduard, became a physician. It might have been the reason why the company ceased to exist by 1900. Their intellectual properties were purchased, or inherited, by I. & J. Melan, which, were located in La Chaux-de-Fonds, at least from 1899.

Meylan-Truan 81.jpg

Meylan-Truan from circa 1860,
    J. Meylan-Truan,
    J. Meylan-Truan et Fils from circa 1890.

Meylan-Truan worm type governor pat 1894.jpg Meylan-Truan.jpg