• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

minute hand wont turn on Hamilton sangamo electric clock

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hi All...I'm working on a Hamilton Sangamo synchronous clock. I replaced the power cord, removed the drive shaft from the motor, cleaned out the inside of the motor and cleaned the mechanical portion of the clock. The clock is now running. Quite smoothly, and quietly I might add. The center disc sweep second hand runs smoothly, BUT the minute hand does not budge. It is a little snug when moving it manually. Is is possible something is binding ? or not meshing? I was really excited when I saw the thing come to life, but then disheartened to see it was only half alive...Any thoughts, please...

Bob

EC7.jpg EC6.jpg EC5.jpg EC4.jpg EC#.jpg EC2.jpg EC!.jpg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Most mechanical clocks use motion works so hour and minute hands work together when receiving power from main drive.

Follow the motions work to identify where the problem is located.

I googled Repairing Sangamo clocks and it gave me some hits including one for a Sangamo website with repair information. Check it out.

Andy