Minute Hand for Junghans

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bill Cann, Jul 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Cann

Bill Cann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I have a Junghans 12.14 movement with a 5" dial that needs a minute hand. The mount is a half oblong (3.5mm x 2.8mm) and canted 45deg (for some reason). Looked at my usual suppliers and they carry oblong hands but not canted, so not going to have much success filing it to 45deg. I have not turned up anything in minute hand bushings that size, either too small or too large. Also haven't turned up any hand blanks. Currently using an oblong hand I filed to fit and it is off by 45, but at least I can set the timing.

The clock cleaned up nice, but the chimes at 7, 22, 37 and 52 minute marks are annoying. Any leads or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
    IMG_1805.JPG

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean, but if the strike does not coincide with the hand position, you can turn the hand collet until it does.

Use something like the tang of a file and insert it into the hand collet and turn in the appropriate direction. It may be very stiff, but it will turn.

But perhaps I have misunderstood and you mean something else.

JTD

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll move this to clock repair forum for more exposure.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Or, if no collet, something inside the clock is misplaced or bent. Willie X

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Willie. I have never seen a hand with a slot at an 45 degree angle. I think that probably the motion work has been assembled incorrectly.

Uhralt

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked up antique Junghans clock hands on ebay, and the ones with the oblong hole had the long axis of the hole in the direction of the hand, as is usually the case. So my bet is that there is something wrong with the chime triggering mechanism. You will need to take the movement out of the case, move the minute hand manually and watch what exactly triggers the chime. This will help you to see what needs to be corrected. If you can, post a video to show what happens and we may be able to give you more direct advice.

Uhralt