Minute hand bent at end

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Evernia, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:22 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I bought an incomplete clock to play with and am bothered by the hands. Specifically the minute hand which is deliberately scored and bent up by 90 degrees at the tip. I have an irritating feeling of familiarity about this bend but can't place it, it might not even have been on a clock but some form of indicator dial. Is it a known phenomenon?

The rest of the clock I am still eyeballing - it is (or was) a dial clock with strike, I incline towards Anglo-American rather than American, the movement is unsigned but matches examples signed Pomeroy. Lacks dial & bezel.

DSCF3123.JPG DSCF3121.JPG fullsizeoutput_c3.jpeg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hard to tell without seeing the hands in context on the dial. perhaps someone bent replacement hands to fit within the bezel?

i ain't no expert, but i've been through a lot of clocks and that does not look right to me.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Are you sure that the bend is not just an accidental/incidental bend accomplished by Harry Klutzfingers or such? I agree the movement is by Noah Pomeroy. Here's a signed example.

Round Top Movement 1.JPG

4. Evernia

Evernia Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    The hand has been scored/half cut through at the back where it is bent up, so I call it deliberate. Lopping the end off would I think be the faster and more straightforward alteration to make it fit within the bezel.

Thanks for the Pomeroy picture.