Minneapolis Watch Co.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by luvsthetick, Sep 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. luvsthetick

luvsthetick Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    retired
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 luvsthetick, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    I received an email recently from Jones & Horan concerning a sale in their online store. Sale because store will be closed while they redo their website. I clicked the link and found something I wanted, a Waltham 18s movement display holder for one of their display boxes. I made the purchase.

[​IMG]

The holder had a movement that I thought must be a private label, one that I had not seen or heard of. You might say I came in the back door on this one. After buying it and before it arrived, I went to this site to see what information I could find and have learned a lot of information. I suspected it was made by Aurora because of the Hurd regulator but was not familiar with the design of the barrel bridge and balance cock. Thanks to several posts by the resident Aurora researcher (Greg F.) I can call my Aurora a "new model" private label. It is one of Aurora's 15 jewels that was not labeled as to jewel count. It just happens to be the private label that has the lowest production numbers among new model private labels, one of Greg's posts estimate only 70 were made. Does anyone know who these were made for?

It had a few problems which were easily fixed and after a COA it is running great. It just didn't feel right in a Waltham movement holder, now the watch is in a hunter case.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Would appreciate any additional information anyone may have.

2. kevin h

kevin h Registered User

Apr 9, 2015
    cambridge md
    Country Flag:
    I wondered who got that one ! The watch you look at today and go back to get tomorrow , thats ok I picked up a couple of Auroras too , they had quite a few, and I got a pair of jewelers guild ,one openface and one hunter . The thing I like about yours is the "watch co " reference , I have a Toronto watch co and an Iowa watch co , and thought a Minneapolis would fit in ! Good luck with it , I was surprised and what good time keepers they are .

3. luvsthetick

luvsthetick Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    retired
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a Waltham display stand/box that has a damaged movement holder and was after the movement holder. Got lucky and wound up with the Aurora. Easy fix on the problems described by J. & H. After a COA it is keeping excellent time.