Minimum needed to make wood gear clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Robert Gary, Apr 26, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a friend who is very new to clocks who has asked the following question:

I’m looking into building an ultra-simple wooden-gear pendulum clock to learn more about how clocks work. Basically, I want to build the absolute simplest clock possible but I have not been able to find plans that are simple and straightforward. Everything I’ve seen so far is actually pretty elaborate compared to what little I know. I’m trying to figure out the minimum number of gears and their gear ratios that would produce a practically sized clock but I’m just not getting it.

Can anyone help him?

RobertG

2. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock that comes most readily to my mind is the one posted a few weeks ago seeking info. It had two wheels. It had a winding drum driving an escape wheel with a verge type escapement.
    After that, I'd suggest any of the foliot designs that were reproductions of the earliest mechanical clocks. They have three wheels and I believe would result in a more practical, useful clock.

3. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Scottie. Do you know where he could find actual plans for such a clock?

RobertG

4. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Scottie. The 2 gear clock sounds interesting. Can you post me a link?
    RJ

5. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ZEPPER posted this one of his in response to Nick Ryan's in "Post Your Anno Foliot Columbus" topic. Three wheels, counting hour motion wheel.

Attached Files:

6. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Trying to remember, Robert, but I'm thinking it was Conover or one of those popular authors who offers plans for the three wheel version. A brief search came up empty for me. I have here plans for one by E.R. HAAN I would gladly copy and send at no cost. I'm thinking the plans by Conover or whoever it was - will be better - more comprehensive, but I have never seen them.

7. jredburn

jredburn New Member

Nov 1, 2010
  8. tomogletree

tomogletree Registered User

Jul 30, 2011
    Master Plumber
    Edison, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Joe! I have a shop full of wood working tools so wood works for me %^) Thanks for reposting the plans.

Tom

9. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:
  10. tomogletree

tomogletree Registered User

Jul 30, 2011
    Master Plumber
    Edison, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen something like that flying pendulum one before. Thanks for the link. A lot of these links have many more free plans buried in them via other sites.

Also it Looks like the Eli Terry Plans offered via the On line store would be a great deal. I wouldn't mind having a reproduction works and case in my home, plus it would drive my neighbors mad with envy. Sounds like a cheap Xmas gift to me.