miniature wheel \ gear puller

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by tracker, Jun 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tracker

tracker Registered User

Aug 15, 2007
    retired naval aviator
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any recommendations for a miniature wheel or gear puller for use in removing stuck on clock gears. could use a stake set but i would like to limit the use of hammers on brass clock movements if a puller would work . Thanks. Carl

2. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you are referring to pulling a clock wheel off of it's hub I would recommend a split stake, hollow punch and hammer after a small bit of filing to remove the brass that has been displaced to hold the wheel. I would be afraid of bending the wheel if using a wheel puller. I have a few different pullers... mostly the ones you see in the clock catalogs but usually only find a use for them to remove stubborn hands.

3. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    What gears in particular are you thinking of and what are they stuck to? For removing cannon pinions and the occasional pressed on gear or part such as a gathering pallet I use levers. I made my own from a set of cheap screwdrivers that I annealed at the tip and then bent into a crowbar like curve. Then I polished them. Using levers brings you in very Close to the arbor you want to separate the part from so no risk of bending. Just make sure that the other end of the arbor is supported in a good way, and that you aren't pulling on anything sensitive. Plates can get bent in this way if you are not careful.

Best of luck!

Karl

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Does a tool like this work? This is from an article in the NAWCC Bulletin October 2000

Gear Pulling Tool.jpg

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any tool that leaves less marks is good.

6. tracker

tracker Registered User

Aug 15, 2007
    retired naval aviator
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for all the great advice the parts that I want to remove and then reinstall are the locking plate, gathering pallet and any other "stuck" gears on a New haven triple plate chime movement that I want to clean and reassemble. I have used the lever method on watches as well as the stake and punch method so I guess I may have all the tools I need to proceed. Does anyone know if these parts were hand pressed on when the clock was built or were they driven on by machine? Thank you all again. Carl

7. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I don't know hoe they were originally installed but they can certainly be installed using a bushing machine or a small hammer and brass tubing.

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use the hammer and brass tubing method. Be sure to support the pivot on the other end of the arbor or you risk to bend the back plate and may get excessive end shake.

Uhralt

9. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have them all.

Pullers (1).JPG Pullers (2).JPG Pullers.jpg

10. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Teaclocks;
    LOVED the addition of your vise grips to your pulling tools:)! Paul Harvey would've been proud of you!.................................gary