miniature wheel \ gear puller

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
Any recommendations for a miniature wheel or gear puller for use in removing stuck on clock gears. could use a stake set but i would like to limit the use of hammers on brass clock movements if a puller would work . Thanks. Carl

Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member
Nov 16, 2011
Mason, IL
www.harrysclockshop.com
Country
Region
If you are referring to pulling a clock wheel off of it's hub I would recommend a split stake, hollow punch and hammer after a small bit of filing to remove the brass that has been displaced to hold the wheel. I would be afraid of bending the wheel if using a wheel puller. I have a few different pullers... mostly the ones you see in the clock catalogs but usually only find a use for them to remove stubborn hands.

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
What gears in particular are you thinking of and what are they stuck to? For removing cannon pinions and the occasional pressed on gear or part such as a gathering pallet I use levers. I made my own from a set of cheap screwdrivers that I annealed at the tip and then bent into a crowbar like curve. Then I polished them. Using levers brings you in very Close to the arbor you want to separate the part from so no risk of bending. Just make sure that the other end of the arbor is supported in a good way, and that you aren't pulling on anything sensitive. Plates can get bent in this way if you are not careful.

Best of luck!

Karl

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
Does a tool like this work? This is from an article in the NAWCC Bulletin October 2000

Gear Pulling Tool.jpg

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
Thanks for all the great advice the parts that I want to remove and then reinstall are the locking plate, gathering pallet and any other "stuck" gears on a New haven triple plate chime movement that I want to clean and reassemble. I have used the lever method on watches as well as the stake and punch method so I guess I may have all the tools I need to proceed. Does anyone know if these parts were hand pressed on when the clock was built or were they driven on by machine? Thank you all again. Carl

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Thanks for all the great advice the parts that I want to remove and then reinstall are the locking plate, gathering pallet and any other "stuck" gears on a New haven triple plate chime movement that I want to clean and reassemble. I have used the lever method on watches as well as the stake and punch method so I guess I may have all the tools I need to proceed. Does anyone know if these parts were hand pressed on when the clock was built or were they driven on by machine? Thank you all again. Carl
I don't know hoe they were originally installed but they can certainly be installed using a bushing machine or a small hammer and brass tubing.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I don't know hoe they were originally installed but they can certainly be installed using a bushing machine or a small hammer and brass tubing.
I use the hammer and brass tubing method. Be sure to support the pivot on the other end of the arbor or you risk to bend the back plate and may get excessive end shake.

Uhralt

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Teaclocks;
LOVED the addition of your vise grips to your pulling tools:)! Paul Harvey would've been proud of you!.................................gary

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcbarnard70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool