Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by sylvester12, Sep 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sylvester12

sylvester12 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Spotted this out of the corner of my eye in the antique mall today. Miniature New Haven Banjo clock. The back of the movement bezel is dated Oct. 16 22 but I don't know which model it is. The dial is enamel and the tablet is not a picture but actually reverse painted glass of Mt. Vernon. It measures 15" tall by 5" wide. The door opens at the bottom and there's a small latch. It needed a shot or two of oil but's ticking like a Swiss watch now. Cute little clock for sure. Does anyone know which model this is?

View attachment 356086 View attachment 356082 View attachment 356085 View attachment 356084 View attachment 356083 View attachment 356079 View attachment 356080 View attachment 356081

2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't help with model but this looks nice. I don't have a banjo in my collection yet, I've bid on several in auctions but always seem to get smoked. In my very uneducated opinion, it seems like banjos are one of the few clock types that bring value today in this very depressed clock market. I like it, glad it's running well, enjoy.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking little banjo clock. Yes many clocks are selling so cheap.

4. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 jacks61fd, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Your dimensions don't match any banjos in Trans New Haven Book (Arlington Book Co.). The wood throat is very different. I think your side arms are reversed side to side -- the screws holding them on should be towards the back of your clock so they will not show.
    I have a similar clock but with a silvered dial, very close to the "Willis" model.[​IMG]

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Tran does show a couple of Willis banjos from the 1911 catalogue, both with 3 inch porcelain dials, one with a wood throat, i.e., no decorated glass. However, the one with the wood throat is also shown with wood side arms. It was nearly 17 inches tall. Are you measuring the height to the top of the round dial head or to the tip of the chimney, or what? In any event, we often see variations in height.

The tyhroat on yours appears to have a hole in the throat. Is that what I am seeing?

6. sylvester12

NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    I've seen a couple like mine but with wood side arms instead of brass, the throats were wood. The side arms cannot be reversed they fasten from both sides. The dials were the same as mine which I believe is enamel, they called them porcelain but mine has a over tightened screw on one side and it's not cracked so I doubt it's porcelain. On close inspection the throat on this is original it's never been changed and the patina and wood grain matches the rest of the clock perfectly. This clock is a bit smaller than the Willis. I saw four like this but no one had a name for it just miniature banjo.

View attachment 356118 View attachment 356119 View attachment 356120 View attachment 356121

7. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven - I'm getting old missed the second Willis on pg 59, Sylvester first time I saw side arms attached on both front an back side.

8. sylvester12

NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #8 sylvester12, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    It's 16" to the top of the chimney and 15" to the top of the dial head. The throat has a small dent but it doesn't go all the way through I have to get a filler stick and fix that. So it is a porcelain dial that's a bonus. The ones I saw all had wood side arms probably been switched at some point. Thanks Steven so it's a Willis.

View attachment 356123

9. sylvester12

NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:

Don't feel bad so am I getting old. Thanks for getting me the info on the clock much appreciated. I think it's safe to say it's a Willis.

10. sylvester12

NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    I actually found two more Willis banjo clocks in the same booth I got this one from yesterday. The one that is identical to this one had the trim and glass on the throat. On closer inspection I found holes where this piece would have gone. Unfortunately the movement and dial bezel are damaged on the clock I got yesterday so the parts went to the better clock. So I ended up with one complete running Willis banjo clock, the other two will have to wait till I find the parts for them.

DSC01989.JPG DSC01992.JPG DSC01994.JPG DSC01995.JPG