• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

18th c English Miniature lantern clock

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Hopefully this will arrive in the post next week. Its 24cm high so very small for a lantern.

I can't read the name ...C Southam of Gorton, Yorton or something like that. There is a Southam listed in London before 1737.

It was a cheeky bid which I left as the auctioneer had a silly low estimate on it as he didn't have a clue what it was...or maybe he knew more than me as I bought it.. LOL

1-2669-1046451.jpg 1-2669-a1046451_1.jpg 1-2669-a1046451_2.jpg 1-2669-a1046451_3.jpg 1-2669-a1046451_4.jpg 1-2669-a1046451_5.jpg

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Nice clock! Gorton is a suburb of Manchester now, but would have been a village then in the 18th century.

I'm amazed that the auctioneer didn't know what it was :emoji_hushed:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Nice, sounds like you got a very good deal. Gorton is where the football team Manchester City was formed.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I know of no other Gorton than the one in Manchester, famous for being the home of the Beyer & Peacock locomotive works, but that's the last place I'd expect to see a lantern clock made.

Glad it arrived safely, always a bit of a worry when you don't know who packs it!

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
The clock as a whole is very dirty with a reasonable amount of rust but quite fixable. It actually runs in spite of the layer of grime.

Definitely C Southam Gorton. The engraving doesn't feel too provincial.

engraving.jpg fret.jpg top.jpg

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
Great work! Can you post a picture of the front plate and the back of the dial in due course? I would be very interested in seeing the ratch and other elements. I had to recreate these for my c.1685 lantern.

Reactions: DeanT

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Looks great. What's your method for polishing?
The brass case has corrosion in places which looks like red rust under the black surface. I have removed this by carefully sanding and filing but in some places the corrosion has left some marks and haven't removed all this pitting. Trying to get a balance between completely redoing the surface and leaving it looking 320 years old.

I have a small polishing lathe I can use (with different grades of polishing compound) but a lot was done with autosol by hand, firstly using fine steel wool (if badly tarnished/corroded) and then cloth. The fingerprint sensor on my phone no longer works which gives you an indication of the amount of time...LOL

The movement has copious amount of solder to be removed as well....so its taking a lot longer than I expected

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Great work! Can you post a picture of the front plate and the back of the dial in due course? I would be very interested in seeing the ratch and other elements. I had to recreate these for my c.1685 lantern.
Is this what you are looking for?

23B4BF28-5043-4F88-9331-B3C0E877B033.jpeg E8FA1FBB-A28F-4841-8153-A6AA0276EA87.jpeg 1C910602-926C-4E60-945C-5C32C10916D7.jpeg

Calvin H. Huynh

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The brass case has corrosion in places which looks like red rust under the black surface. I have removed this by carefully sanding and filing but in some places the corrosion has left some marks and haven't removed all this pitting. Trying to get a balance between completely redoing the surface and leaving it looking 320 years old.

I have a small polishing lathe I can use (with different grades of polishing compound) but a lot was done with autosol by hand, firstly using fine steel wool (if badly tarnished/corroded) and then cloth. The fingerprint sensor on my phone no longer works which gives you an indication of the amount of time...LOL

The movement has copious amount of solder to be removed as well....so its taking a lot longer than I expected
Thanks, I appreciate that, that’s really helpful information. High quality (and tedious) work equals a high quality collection!

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Thanks, I appreciate that, that’s really helpful information. High quality (and tedious) work equals a high quality collection!
Cheers. Its never quite as tedious when the end result is nice....

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Dean, that looks great. Fantastic job!

Is your polishing lathe similar to a Foredom? I was thinking of buying one, I like the size of it.

Will

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Dean, that looks great. Fantastic job!

Is your polishing lathe similar to a Foredom? I was thinking of buying one, I like the size of it.

Will
It is a Foredom and it's really good. I've got 4 different grades of polishing compounds and several different polishing wheels, nylon and cloth. I use it on a slow speed.

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
I think I will buy one, mixed with your handiwork the results are impressive. Thanks for the advice.

Salsa, I would use a different wheel for each different compound. I wouldn't think it was possible to really wash them. Not sure.

Will

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
How would you separate the polishing compounds on same wheels? Do you have to wash them first?
I have separate wheels for all different compounds. I've written on the side but also bought different coloured wheels as well...so the green polish has a green wheel etc...

I do wash the part being polished in shellite when changing wheels to limit cross contamination as well.

The Foredom would make this lantern clock too shiny if the finer grades were used but its great if you have a bracket clock and want the bling. Likewise longcases don't need much other than the rouge polish. I prefer the shine AutoSol gives with hand polishing for those.

Calvin H. Huynh

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Thanks. What is “Shellite”? I might have to consider this Dordom lathe now lol.

Edit: does it have to be a Fordom lathe or be a older lathe?

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Thanks. What is “Shellite”? I might have to consider this Dordom lathe now lol.
Its hydrocarbon lighter fuel called Naphtha I think in the USA (also R55 here). Its very good for washing parts and it evaporates super quickly. It also removes water from parts.

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
Is this what you are looking for?
Thanks Dean - that is it exactly! These are the bits I had to make for mine. It was the first time I had done anything like this. I used modern brass. If I was doing again I would have used yellow brass. The blue disc is the blank for the wheel which engages on the pinion. I filed the ratch by hand (second pic is in progress) and had to do quite a bit of hand filing of the pinion too. You can see in the second pic that the brass is too pink.

20170411_093338.jpg 20170329_165856.jpg

Last edited:

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
I think the brass lever in my minature lantern is unusual...this one is from 1680-90's standard size verge lantern.

F085B1EE-398F-4333-8D90-A3D829B5E50F.jpeg

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
And the pinion....if you ever need photos of parts let me know.

96C60975-48C3-453C-96B0-DCC388C569F2.jpeg

Last edited:

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region

I was browsing an old copy of the Horological Journal (March 1887 to be precise) and found that the question of how to polish tarnished brass movements was not a new one.. The advice in the Journal may not meet current Health and Safety standards, but just for interest, I copy it here...

Question: "Tarnished Clock Movements.—Will some one kindly inform me of the best method of removing the tarnish and restoring the polish of French and carriage clock movements, English skeletons, & c ? Rugby. W . C. "

Answer: "Immerse the tarnished pieces for a few moments in a solution of cyanide of potassium (-1 oz. of cyanide to a pint of water), and rinse at once in hot water. The articles may then be dipped in spirits of wine, and dried in boxwood dust. The cyanide solution should be kept well corked and used with care, as it emits a poisonous vapour. Greasy articles should be cleaned in benzine before dipping in the cyanide.—B. A . S."

Reactions: DeanT

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
LOL...I was reading George White's book on Lantern clocks this morning and he mentioned they used to use cyanide for cleaning.

White also says "however attractive an 'antique' appearance may be, the corrosion which causes it, whether rust, verdigris, old metal polish, old oil or even finger prints will inflict permanent damage on the metal."

I can see this clearly on the clock where the uncontrolled corrosion has left damage on both the brass and steel components.

Reactions: novicetimekeeper

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
LOL...I was reading George White's book on Lantern clocks this morning and he mentioned they used to use cyanide for cleaning.

White also says "however attractive an 'antique' appearance may be, the corrosion which causes it, whether rust, verdigris, old metal polish, old oil or even finger prints will inflict permanent damage on the metal."

I can see this clearly on the clock where the uncontrolled corrosion has left damage on both the brass and steel components.
A few random comments:
Rust has already removed some of the metal.
Using metal polish won't leave anything if you wash it off immediately.
Cyanide of what? The word cyanide refers to a salt of a metal using hydrocyanic acid - sodium, potassium or calcium? All very lethal and toxic :emoji_scream:

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
A few random comments:
Rust has already removed some of the metal.
Using metal polish won't leave anything if you wash it off immediately.
Cyanide of what? The word cyanide refers to a salt of a metal using hydrocyanic acid - sodium, potassium or calcium? All very lethal and toxic :emoji_scream:
The point the White was making that the antique appearance was in fact corrosion and the rust etc will damage the metal. Also that old metal polish will cause corrosion if not removed.

Zedric say cyanide of Potassium in his post. Its no longer used obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-