Miniature K & O

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by tracerjack, Feb 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my latest overhaul, a sweet little K & O miniature, plate 1381. Okay, the plastic guard and minute wheel are a bit less than what I would desire, but it works beautifully and keeps excellent time. I think I spent more time polishing the base than I did on cleaning the movement and setting the beat. Every time I take the spring out of these little barrels, I am surprised by how easy it is. I was doing a standard size at the same time, and it fought me all the way. Spring end didn't want to catch on the barrel pin, then the arbor didn't want to catch. While the standards are impressive, I'm liking these little ones more and more. Would be nice if there was a thread just for miniatures and midgets. Would love to see the other styles offered in these tiny clocks by the different makers and all in one place on the forum.
    DSC_1365.JPG

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I get different results on the small ones when repairing. Maybe its just how i feel that day, maybe tired or not observant, but i do enjoy working on them.

3. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Harry Hopkins, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2019
    I like the smaller ones too! I have several miniatures in my collection but I only have this one midget.. It is a Hamilton Hyl, plate 1212E. It is the smallest 400 day that I have seen measuring in at 5.75" tall without the dome and 6.5" with the dome. It is a pin pallet escapement and I believe it is made by Haller. If I remember right I had to make a sleeve for my spring winder to remove and replace the spring as my set did not have one small enough. It is a strong running clock and keeps good time too! It has a plastic dome and plastic feet but still one of my favorites.

Edit: I apologize for the same image inserted multiple times... My best efforts to delete 2 of them have failed.

316034.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really like your midget. Wish I could find more like these.

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harry, I removed the two surplus photos.