• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Mini Novelty Vienna Wall Clock

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I have a small Vienna regulator looking clock, that I would put in the novelty category. It is time only and has a movement with a mainspring, but also a weight. The weight string is broken, but the clock still operates with mainspring only. Is anyone familiar with this movement as to which company made it and if both the weight and mainspring work together to power the clock? Would like to find another one similar to see what the pendulum look like. Is it an 8-day or 1-day? Photos below. back.jpg bottom.jpg front.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I have never seen this before but I suspect that the weight is just an ornament and just looks good as it moves up and down. The spring probably provides the power:???:

Reactions: Keith Doster

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Here is a picture of the case and dial - along with weight, pendulum, and pulley. The weight is heavy, as opposed to a faux one that one finds on some vintage Asian clocks.

case and weight.jpg

Reactions: Jonas

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Very interesting, a hybrid spring/weight drive. I've never seen that either.

I thought the weight would be mainly ornamental with the purpose of indicating when the clock needed to be wound.

It probably won't be easy to find another one. Willie X

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
These are Chines imports that are sold by Proclocks and others on eBay. Like this: Click Here

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Thanks Peter, I've been duped again! :oops:

There are some 'tells' though; the fasteners, the folded ends on the suspension spring, the top of the suspension spring screwed fast to the side of a stamped hanger, the overall poor/cheap workmanship.

Oh well, hindsight is always 20:20 ... Willie

Reactions: leeinv66

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Weird. Why a spring AND a weight? A weight alone with the right mass should do just as good a job or a better one.

Uhralt

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
The trouble would be that with a weight of the right mass, it's physical size would be massive compared to the space available inside the case. It would have to be long and that would shorten the duration of the one day movement. These will run with the spring, but not with just the weight.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The trouble would be that with a weight of the right mass, it's physical size would be massive compared to the space available inside the case. It would have to be long and that would shorten the duration of the one day movement. These will run with the spring, but not with just the weight.
I see. So, the weight is more for decoration than for driving the clock.

Uhralt

Reactions: leeinv66

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Unless it might serve as a winding mechanism for the spring. Kinda weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-