Mini Cottage Clocks

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Steven Thornberry, Nov 21, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Canadian? Companies like Hamilton and Canadian Clock Co. made minimal little cottages with cardboard dials.

However, I will hasten to add looking through the 2 Varkaris and Connell books (including the one devoted to the Canada and Hamilton CC's) as well as Burrows failed to provide a match for either the clock or a movement with that particular escapement bridge.

RM

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for looking, RM. I had considered Canadian but had also failed to match the clock and, in particular, the EW bridge. I don't have Varkaris and Connell's or Burrows' books (yes, a gap in my references), and I appreciate your taking time to look through them. Glad to learn about cardboard dials on Canadian cottage clocks.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I recently acquired this cottage clock with what I believe is an unsigned Winterhalder and Hofmeier movement.
    Case.JPG Movement Front.JPG Movement Back 1.JPG Movement Back 2.JPG Movement Back 3.JPG Pendulum.JPG

My belief about the movement was based initially on the style of the suspension bracket. However, the suspension spring, pendulum leader, the pendulum itself, and the method of mounting the movement to the case have also been noted in signed W&H movements. Compare the movements shown in the following threads, for example.
    Winterhalder timepiece
    Camerer Kuss, can anyone help me ID the movement please?

The general case style/features are seen in other clocks with W&H movements.

Winterhalder & Hofmeier Mahogany Cottage Clock with Alarm | Sale Number 2890M, Lot Number 66 | Skinner Auctioneers
    A WINTERHALDER AND HOFMEIR ALARM CLOCK, 19th century, 5 1/4" painted square dial with subsidiary
    Cottage clock, Black Forest, wood plate movement, Winterhalder + Hofmeier

The only label on the clock indicates that it was a presentation piece. (Yes, that is “Presented,” not “Resented.” Why hold a grudge against a small timepiece?)
    Label.JPG

I found two possible persons who might be the Wallace R. Harrison mentioned on the label. The earlier is listed in the Feb. 28, 1876, Supplement to the London Gazette as a florist on High-street, Maidstone (bottom of page 1042).

The London Gazette

The second was a seed merchant, beginning to work in 1901, it seems, and also in Maidstone.
    Wallace Richard HARRISON b. 5 Oct 1873 Maidstone, Kent, England d. 8 Jun 1931 Maidstone Reg Dist, Kent, England: Teresa Goatham's Family History

They were likely related, perhaps father and son or grandfather and grandson.