Mimo MimoMeter date watch - 1930 or 32?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jet Jetski, Aug 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jet Jetski

Jet Jetski Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I have been advised the MimoMeter date window watch was released in 1930, but I have a fairly good authority here that it was '32, grateful for any help - I have a priority date for a Vertex date window watch of 31 Jan 30 - don't see how they could beat that! Here is the download link to my source for '32.

http://hans-weil.faszination-uhrwerk.de/girard-perregaux_mimo.pdf

Thanks for any assistance - was looking for a link to a Bruce Shawkey article Finding Mimo without any luck, too.

Stay Safe

Jon

2. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hawk53 likes this.
  3. Jet Jetski

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks - I found a reference to the article elsewhere that gave me the year and issue (April 2011) so then I was able to get it through the library, but I really appreciate your help.

Here is my Banner date watch - date I was given was 1935,
    73755672576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=pTKz7uEV0gEAX92_CsU&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.jpg

there is info about the AS 806 movement here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 806

Different bridge layouts for this family of movements here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 340

No date for the 806 though - pity I cannot find a British hallmarked version ...

Thanks again,

Jon

viclip likes this.
  4. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are some images for 1932 Bulova date watches I thought you might like.

1932-Calendar-proto-type.jpg 1932-Calendar-proto-type.jpg 1932-Calendar-proto-type-1.jpg 1932-Calendar-proto-type-3.jpg calbul61412.jpg

viclip and Jet Jetski like this.
  5. Jet Jetski

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, this really is modern style design. I am wondering how they dealt with the patent - what I have noticed is that several patent applications were not followed up in one territory or another, while Mimo and Vertex both submitted ostensibly the same drawing with the same priority date (31 Jan 1930) for separate applications - I wonder if the 'real' inventor (Graef?) sold the rights to different makers in different territories ( Lyons, Bulova?) What is interesting is that it says the Graef patent was registered 15 August 1931 and the patent protection I believe lasted 14 years, when funnily enough the Datejust came out, in 1945.

Vertex (C Lyons) application (note the convention date): Espacenet - Original document

Mimo (Graef) application: Espacenet - Original document

Jon

Tomxhar likes this.