Military Pocket Watch by Pierce -- 'DD' Engraving?

KnightNZ

New User
Aug 4, 2022
Country
Hi all,

I was advised to post this one over here by a member on WUS.

I am on the hunt for some information about the history of this pocket watch, particularly the military style engraving on the caseback.

It's engraved 'DD' with an arrow in the middle. It is also marked '0187'. Someone has suggested 'Department of Defence' but I'm not sure if that's accurate...?

Finger Electric blue Nickel Close-up Thumb

Watch Pocket watch Clock Watch accessory Analog watch

This is a friend's watch and he's a historian. His interest as a collector lies more in uncovering the watch's past, so please excuse its aesthetic condition ;).

Any help/information is greatly appreciated!

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
WUS does not allow you to post images from their site. If you post the link to the image instead, that will work. I can do that for you, if you like.

If you have permission from the owner, you can also copy and paste images here as attachments. That way it uses our bandwidth to display the image rather than theirs.

Reactions: KnightNZ

KnightNZ

New User
Aug 4, 2022
Country
WUS does not allow you to post images from their site. If you post the link to the image instead, that will work. I can do that for you, if you like.

If you have permission from the owner, you can also copy and paste images here as attachments. That way it uses our bandwidth to display the image rather than theirs.
Thanks for that. My mistake! -- I think I've managed to attach them here. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.55.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.56.02 AM.png

DaveyG

Mar 21, 2005
North Wales, UK
Country
I can tell you that the form of arrow on your watch was used, after the formation of the Royal Air Force in 1918, by the UK Air Ministry but I don't recall ever having seen one marked with the D D before. I think that the watch is possibly post WW1 and pre WW2.

KnightNZ

New User
Aug 4, 2022
Country
Hi guys, thanks for the responses! -- I Will get my friend to take the back off...

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update