Mido Multifort Powerwind - restore face or enjoy as is? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by ReasonOne, Aug 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ReasonOne

ReasonOne Registered User

Jul 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I’ve posted this 17 jewel Mido Multifort Powerwind (circa 1958) recently in the “what are you wearing?” Forum. I quite love the look of the age/patina of the face. I’m trying to decide whether to leave it as is and enjoy it, or have it restored. I’ve heard mixed reviews on whether to restore and maximize the “value” of it, or to enjoy it as is because some collectors prefer to see “battle wear” adding to the history of the piece if I were to ever part with it down the road.

I’m leaning towards leaving it as is as I personally like seeing watches that have some wear and patina. I have had the majority of my watches for quite some time, so I don’t have an immediate intent to part with anything. Any thoughts or input on the matter?

As I am pulling pieces out of storage and get them running I will post more photos as time permits.

064FB756-4416-4128-89A8-42EC8B8D7225.jpeg

Paul Raposo and viclip like this.
  2. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking watch I must say..Leave it alone.. !

ReasonOne likes this.
  3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Personally I don't much appreciate a painted dial exhibiting "patina" (although I can live with a moderately hairlined vitreous enamel dial, if I have to).

Having said that, it's my understanding that having a painted dial refinished, will lower the value of the watch in the world of collectors.

With patience, maybe you could find a better example of the identical watch, running or not. Then cannibalize the better dial if you so prefer, but save your original patina'd one & include it with your original watch in the event of sale or other disposition. This way you've done nothing irreversible in as much as the original dial can always be re-installed.

ReasonOne likes this.
  4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On the third hand, it's your watch. If you'd enjoy it more with a refinished dial, there are a couple of places that can do the job to look like factory new. If f you'd like to keep it as it is, then there ya go. Unless it's a really rare watch (and not eBay's definition of "rare") whether the dial looks like new or not isn't going to make a huge difference in its value. If you get it refinished, I guarantee you'll find someone who'd love to have it and would pay the same as someone else who'd love to see it as it is now. Fortunately there are both those who say "ooh, pretty!" and those who say "ooh, original!"

Through the years I've done a complete restoration on a $56 Benrus Three-Star because the customer wanted it returned to factory glory, and I've done a lot of significantly-more-expensive watches where nothing got touched except the movement and a gentle cleaning of the case and crystal, despite the dial looking like someone ran over it. Thank heavens for different strokes.

I'm glad I don't have to make a decision on your watch! If you decide to get the dial refinished drop me a PM and I'll recommend my favorite guy.

Nice watch!

Glen

ReasonOne likes this.
  5. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Just remember...once the deed is done it cannot be undone...ever. Once you repaint it it will always be repainted. That said, if you don't care then it is up to you.

ReasonOne and Paul Raposo like this.
  6. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Leave it and enjoy!:)

7. ReasonOne

ReasonOne Registered User

Jul 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the input so far, everyone.

As viclip had mentioned, it turns out I opened up one of my pouches from storage that dated back to my high school/college days and stumbled on over a dozen Mido Multifort wristwatches in far better condition! This substantially sways my decision to have this one modified.

Glenhead brings up some interesting points on the various perspectives of prospective buyers. Now that I have several examples, I’m not as concerned to leave this one as is and simply service the movement.

JohnCote had mentioned a common saying often used in the classic car world - “it can only be original once!” - I tend to agree with this as well.

Thanks for being so kind to a novice on here. I’m sure such questions must be tiresome to long time members.

I’ll post more pieces as I stumble on them and get them working, rest assured.

viclip likes this.
  8. PapaLouies

PapaLouies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Country Flag:
    I would replace the crystal and keep the dial and hands in original condition.
    IMG_1882.JPG

Regards, PL

ReasonOne likes this.