• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Midget invasion

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Got this beauty today, you've probably seen it. Koma midget. Got it cleaned up. Ordered a bottom block for it today, so hopefully by the end of the week it will be running. It was fully wound, but the escape wheel wouldn't move. Tomorrow the movement. A Kundo midget will be here tomorrow or Wednesday, probably tomorrow.

P9260004.JPG P9260007.JPG P9260006.JPG

Reactions: Wayne A

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I like the 3 ball pendulum on the Koma midgets, and I like midgets in general since they take up so little space, you can easily find space for more than one. Yours shined up nicely!

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Eric -

In the catalog cut, Koma calls the clock "Boy". I've seen catalog cuts for other small Komas also called "Boy". Any idea why they were doing this, giving the same name to different clocks?

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Koma called all their smallest clocks "Boy" and all their 9" range clocks "Liliput". Those are the names they chose for their product lines. The numbers designate which "Boy" or "Liliput" or standard 12" clock you're looking at.

Eric

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I don't know, got me stumped too. I got the Kundo running. The book says "15 beats per minute". That ain't right, I got 10.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
OK,... Somebody please tell me how a mainspring ends up like that.
BOOM thats how. :)

Found them in many pieces too, always thought that it had to break in one spot then as it rapidly expanded there were a few stick/break again spots that happen in that fraction of a second of energy release.

Wayne

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
So I wonder why Kundo decided to reverse the pendulum adjustment, clockwise to increase instead of decrease the rate. My Edgar Henn is like that. Kind of a PITA.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
So I wonder why Kundo decided to reverse the pendulum adjustment, clockwise to increase instead of decrease the rate. My Edgar Henn is like that. Kind of a PITA.
:???:?

Last edited:

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Hint: Kundo never made a midget movement - they just cut a notch in the back of their miniature movement to make more room for the top of the pendulum. Space - the final frontier.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
The adjustment mechanism is the same as the larger pendulums. What changed is the shape of the arms that hold the balls, from a relatively straight lever to one with a sharp angle. So now with the same movement of the adjuster the balls come in rather than go out. To keep the adjustment in the same directions they would have needed to replace the screw in the center with a left hand threaded one, creating a separate stock of parts for the different model. Not a good business decision even back then. Much less expensive to just reverse the stamps. I think most households would have only had one 400 day clock (if they had any) so it would not have been a problem.

Eric

Reactions: Ken M

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I don't know, got me stumped too. I got the Kundo running. The book says "15 beats per minute". That ain't right, I got 10.
My mistake, the Koma says "15 beats per minute" for suspension unit 38A, I'm getting 14 and it's keeping good time.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I lied, it was 5 minutes slow. I kept advancing the pendulum until it maxed out, and was still slow. So I went to a .0023". First impression is good, but I've been known to embellish, or lie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-