• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Mid-South Regional,Chattanooga, TN This weekend

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I hope to see as many of you as possible at the Chattanooga Convention Center.

The Chattanooga Times ran this info piece this morning for the Regional

This was in the Chattanooga Times this morning,

National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors' Mid-South regional convention, happening this weekend at the Chattanooga Convention Center, 1 Carter Plaza, includes public events. The Mart in Hall B, featuring 80 tables of watches, clocks and parts, is open Saturday and Sunday for a $10 entry fee. An adjacent exhibit, "Early American Clocks With a Connecticut Connection," is open both days with free admission. Two Saturday lectures, in Room 19, are also free: "Luxury or Lie: Identifying and Valuing Luxury Watches" at 11 a.m. and "Radium Girls" at 2 p.m. nawcc.org

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I didn't read any replies to this thread so I must have been the only attendee ;)

It was slow and they had a lot of cancellations,covid maybe?

I picked up some watches that caught my eye because they were different
I bought this Ball-Hamilton for not much(275) and sold it on eBay (410)

DSCN5538.JPG DSCN5540.JPG DSCN5543.JPG DSCN5544.JPG

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
This is a early Elgin in a nice Keywind Silver Coin Case, by J.R. Reed & Co.Pitts.
The reason I bought it was because when I looked at the movement the balance wheel jumped up at me. Someone has dripped soilder on the wheeh and then pressed on it to give an Illusion of dots on the wheel. DSCN5668.JPG

DSCN5655.JPG DSCN5660.JPG DSCN5662.JPG DSCN5665.JPG DSCN5668.JPG

Reactions: musicguy

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Another watch that caught my eye was a Black Patina case that has to be 100 years worth of patina to reach this shade of black.
It has a early Waltham in it that runs .
I saw that one also, Jim. Very novel. Glad somebody picked it up.
The regional was slow, and lots of sellers cleared out by midafternoon Saturday. My wife and I had a good time though. I sold some and bought one, which I might post later.

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
This is a early Elgin in a nice Keywind Silver Coin Case, by J.R. Reed & Co.Pitts.
The reason I bought it was because when I looked at the movement the balance wheel jumped up at me. Someone has dripped soilder on the wheeh and then pressed on it to give an Illusion of dots on the wheel. View attachment 672201

View attachment 672200 View attachment 672202 View attachment 672203 View attachment 672204 View attachment 672205
Jim would this have been done to add weight to the balance wheel since there's no provision for adding/adjusting/washering timing screws?

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I would consider this a school or Hobby watch and it was just done for decoration and to catch your eye which it did to me.

These smooth balances wheels can be adjusted and if you have a loose one, turn it over and you will see holes drilled in the underside of the wheel.

This watch runs slow, so by adding this decoration it affected the timekeeping of the watch.

I suspect that was of no concern at the time, it was just done to gain attention. He would probably pull it out at a meeting or church to impress everyone....:Party:

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
I would consider this a school or Hobby watch and it was just done for decoration and to catch your eye which it did to me.

These smooth balances wheels can be adjusted and if you have a loose one, turn it over and you will see holes drilled in the underside of the wheel.

This watch runs slow, so by adding this decoration it affected the timekeeping of the watch.

I suspect that was of no concern at the time, it was just done to gain attention. He would probably pull it out at a meeting or church to impress everyone....:Party:
Interesting comments. I had no idea that those old balance wheels could be adjusted from the underside, I think I've got a dismantled Waltham M1870 somewhere around here so I'll take a look at it.

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
These early wheels I have encountered while rounded on top, are flat on the bottom. They are shallow drilled to bring them to poise and time.

butlercreek

Mar 8, 2007
Northwest
Country

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Show us one you have done so we can compare. Is it worth the effort?

Why take the 100 years of aging out of the watch with a artificially produced finish.

Wouldn't the new finish leak into the case seams, etc?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

butlercreek

Mar 8, 2007
Northwest
Country
I worked on a sulfur recovery unit and was around H2s a lot and I found that it would quickly patina my silver cases just like that……

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
There is another senseless debate going on in this thread by a very well meaning guy.

It is senseless because of the profit motive, when someone can make a profit by just buying cheap scrap cases, etc. and selling them for higher prices you (we) can not do anything about it.

That is why I pictured some hard to find cases that I saw at the show because these thing are becoming extinct.

Post #6 & 7,almost impossible to find a KW,KS Gold Filled Case for a little over $100

I have always bought crisp cases at the shows for future use for $100-150 and most have a nice movements in them because if I have a nice movement I would like to have appropriate case for it.

Reactions: musicguy

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I have always bought crisp cases at the shows for future use for $100-150 and most have a nice movements in them because if I have a nice movement I would like to have appropriate case for it.
I know that I am always on the look out for nice cases. Certain
16s gold filled hunting ones are in high demand and ones with a female
stem are also hard to find in 16s hunting, and coin 18s KW cases as well.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-