Mid Century Modern

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Feb 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As most of you know, I am a Hamilton Electric FREAK, having done published research early on (and even shared my research with a young man who later wrote a book , Rene Rondeau so it won't surprise you to know that I simply LOVE "mid-century modern".

I came across this one a few weeks back and while I loved it, it was just way to short for my wrist.

The celebrated mid-century modern Audemrs masterpiece, the "Disco Volante" ( for "flying saucer")

Rare enough in yellow gold, one recently went at auction for over 12k in white gold. But this one was ROSE gold AND it had the original A/P bracelet!

Enjoy! (And share your mid century watch!) (sorry for the "hairy arm" shot)
    upload_2018-2-2_20-2-48.png

upload_2018-2-2_20-3-35.png Hess

discoside.jpg

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a true dress watch, I have to be so careful with gold watches I'm always worried about damaging the case. I usually wear short sleeve shirts and no jacket these days so the planned protection of shirt double cuff and suit jacket are not available.

I love the strap, they are amazing creations and silky smooth but how do they wear over time, do they just get looser and looser?

3. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the cool thing about these "woven" (not sure if there is a technical term for them) bracelets is they seem impervious to stretch.

And good comment about "dress watches". There "Seems" to be a sudden interest in dress watches again.Not overwhelmingly, but I wonder if our 39 year obsession with chronographs and moonphases and big bulky watches is waning? (Probably not...)

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I think the trouble with the huge watch thing is it messes up your cuffs and suit, the correct fit would be as you lift your arm up the sleeve pulls back to expose the watch.

I only have a calatrava but I would prefer to keep it looking as good as possible as long as possible.

5. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Jeff,

This is really a cool looking watch. The condition is stunning. I have heard these bracelets called Milanese or Milanese Mesh. I love to wear them but it is certainly hard to adjust them is they have a traditional hook clasp.

6. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is an exquisite dress-watch! I marvel at how thin this type of watch is, as well as how those bands articulate so smoothly. I got a Piaget for my ex-wife that had a beautiful 18K band like that. It moved like a snake with nearly microscopic scales.

Since you mentioned your interest in Hamilton electrics, and asked for mid-century pic's, here's a Swiss-made hybrid that I picked up last week (Just posted a thread on it earlier today.). It keeps excellent time and has what I think is a very cool mid-century look and feel. I think you're onto something with the electric/electronic, but non-quartz, watches, Jeff. I just came to that "party", and it may be just getting started. Cheers.

DSC06090.JPG

7. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Male
    Director of Manufacturing, Aerospace
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Still my favorite mid-century modern in my collection!

970404578_o.jpg

pierre mannaert and MrRoundel like this.
  8. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    nice Brian