Michael Harold Bulletin Supplement

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Scott Tzorfas, May 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scott Tzorfas

Scott Tzorfas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
    I am interested in reading a past Bulletin supplement "American Watchmakingby Michael C. Harrold No. 4". I search for it in the past bulletin index, but it is not available on-line. Is there another way to access this article?

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  3. Scott Tzorfas

NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks Rob for responding. Yes, I have looked here- but it says it is not available online. Any other ideas?

4. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you click on the 1940's and go down to the bottom of the page for the 1st 6 of them you get this message

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /images/stories/1940/timekeepers/timekeeper5_49.pdf on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Keith R... likes this.
  5. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These do show up on Ebay and at marts usually for a few bucks.

The hard copy is nice with good quality photos, and it's well worth buying to have on your shelf.

PatH likes this.
  6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Correct. It is not one of the Supplements that are available on line. You might try eBay. Supplements often show up there. Also try Amazon to see if any are offered there. Do a simple Google search and see what turns up. Also try the NAWCC store to see what shows up. Shop

PatH likes this.
  7. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Correction: The book is supplement no. 14, Spring 1984

8. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Have you tried the NAWCC "Store" in the "Books" category?

The book comes up at the top of page 2 on my computer priced at $17.95 (presumably members' price in as much as the retail price is depicted at $26.95).

Here's the link to said page 2 although it may not work on your machine:

Products by Category

(I couldn't get the NAWCC search feature to work correctly but anyways the book is in the Store, I hope it's the one that you're looking for ...)

terry hall likes this.
  10. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    Semi-retired materials physicist
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Clint Geller, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    The NAWCC lending library very likely has a copy, but I don't believe they are open at the moment. Shortly after I bought my first antique watch, the local watchmaker I found, who to my great good fortune was also a horological scholar, lent me a copy of Mike's book to read. My watchmaker Tim and I became good friends over the years, and Mike's book got me hooked on the subject, so you can blame poor Mike for whatever I have become. I still consider Mike's book the best introduction to the subject of American watchmaking in or out of print. Mike spoke at the 2002 NAWCC Seminar that I chaired in Boxborough, MA. He also reviewed several of my NAWCC Bulletin articles for me. I have taken great pleasure in giving Mike signed copies of both of my own horological books.

PatH likes this.
  11. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Board Secretary
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Scott,

As we continue work to launch our new website, it has been recognized that a number of documents and publications have not been available. The intent is to clean up as many of these as possible prior to launch, but recognizing that some will be delayed until we are able to get our staff back on site and can locate the appropriate source document or complete the required scans.

In the meantime, I would agree with others that this is certainly a publication worth having in your personal library.

Clint Geller and musicguy like this.
  12. Clint Geller

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 Clint Geller, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    I recall that in or about 2005, the president of a former NAWCC Chapter told me he purchased all the remaining copies of Mike Harold's book from the national organization. I have since learned to take what this guy told me with a large grain of salt. Nevertheless, when I asked him to support the 2006 Ward Francillon National Seminar in Cleveland, which I chaired, he offered a bunch of them up as gifts to the seminar participants, rather than ponying up the cash he had promised me. These books were distributed, as I recall. For the life of me, I can't remember either the guy's name, or that of his defunct chapter. (Sometimes a failing memory isn't such a bad thing. ;))

ben_hutcherson likes this.
  13. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I bought my copy of the book directly from the NAWCC within the past year or two.

14. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ... upon pulling the book out of my bookcase I see that it was reprinted in April 2017.

And I bought mine last June.

It's a good read incidentally.

Clint Geller likes this.
  15. Clint Geller

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #15 Clint Geller, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    I hadn't realized the NAWCC had reprinted it. That makes me very happy. My hard cover copy was printed in 1984, the same year I joined the association. It is beautifully bound, on quality paper. I have a later, soft cover copy around here too, somewhere, but it is falling apart because it is the one I mostly have used.

viclip likes this.
  16. Scott Tzorfas

NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks everyone for all of your help. I have some great leads on what to do next.
    Scott

Clint Geller and viclip like this.