• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Meynadier 1/4 repeater ID

netsch20

Nov 26, 2020
Country
Another piece I just found in my grandfathers collection. According to a little note he had with it, it's ca. 1780, 18KT case, 1/4 repeater, with a "special no-over-wind" mechanism. I can confirm those last three things, (at least, it seems to be 18KT, though I'm no expert). It also has a "PA" sponsor's mark, though of course that isn't much help as it's Swiss.

Searching Meynadier brings up essentially no useful information. The only references to such a name I can find are a couple auction listings, one explicitly for a Meynadier a Geneve piece. Then there are a couple references to an "A." and an "Alex" Meynadier, one of which is of a piece in the Met's collection, and then another auction for a "Moynier Meynadier", presumably referring to the same from Bautte & Moynier, which would be around the same time this watch was supposedly made, so I suppose it's a lead. (As a side note, I also found a watch simply marked with "Boutte", is that a possible relation to Bautte?)

(Also, yes, for some god-forsaken reason he put a sticker on the inside of the case, as can be seen in the reflection in the second picture)

20201128_220215.jpg 20201128_220403.jpg 20201128_220417.jpg

dshumans

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2009
The "bible" for watchmakers is Watchmakers % Clockmakers of the World, by G. H. Baillie. This book lists Philippe Meynadier in Geneva from 1780 to early 1800s.

Reactions: netsch20

netsch20

Nov 26, 2020
Country
The "bible" for watchmakers is Watchmakers % Clockmakers of the World, by G. H. Baillie. This book lists Philippe Meynadier in Geneva from 1780 to early 1800s.
Ah, I should definitely get my hands on that book then! Thank you