Meylan Minute Repeater?

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
A few years back I bought a very nice 18k Theo. B. Starr, Inc. private label minute repeater at an Antiquorom auction. The Antiquorom catalog attributed the watch to C.H. Meylan.

Since then, I have acquired a very nice 18k signed C.H. Meylan minute repeater.

I see no similarities between the signed Meylan's movement and the Starr's movement. So, is my Theo. B. Starr really a C.H. Meylan? If not, what is it?

The first two shots are of the signed C.H. Meylan. The second two shots are of the Theo. B. Starr.

Attachments

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
When I posted this thread in 2008, no one replied to it. I have resuscitated it in hopes that someone will answer my question -- who made this private label minute repeater?

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
There are some differences but the parallel, notched tip cocks over the third fourth and escape wheel are a Patek Philippe signature feature. I found a signed Patek example on a for sale site with the same straight tooth winding wheels, but the click and number range are very different.

I doubt that it is by Audemars Piguet but Aubert is a possibility.

Reactions: Ethan Lipsig

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
A few years back I bought a very nice 18k Theo. B. Starr, Inc. private label minute repeater at an Antiquorom auction. The Antiquorom catalog attributed the watch to C.H. Meylan. Since then, I have acquired a very nice 18k signed C.H. Meylan minute repeater. I see no similarities between the signed Meylan's movement and the Starr's movement.
No wonder, Ethan, that you see no similarities - the Starr is typical, well known LeCoultre, and the Meylan has all the characteristics of Victorin Piguet, especially the placement of the surprise hammer* acting from the underneath, against gravity (with the pendant up), controlled by the V-shaped lever. The LeCoultre looks no earlier than 1895 and no later than 1910, the Piguet 1905-1910.

Philip

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Many thanks, Philip.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES