Method for locating a pivot when the bushing hole is damaged.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Jim Burghart, Jan 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Jim Burghart

Jim Burghart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Upstate NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I posted this on the NAWCC Facebook page, but thought some may find it useful here.

[FONT=&amp]I ran into an issue with an Eli Terry wood works clock movement I am restoring. Some one used taper pins driven into the plates to close the bushing holes. This caused the hole to be distorted and there wasn't much wood left and made it difficult to locate the correct spot for the pivot so the gears would mesh. My Brother suggested this technique he uses on some brass movements.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]After drilling out the plate for the new bushing, install the wheels, with the bad one loose in the enlarge hole. Using a piece of tubing chucked in a drill press lower the tube over the pivot. Slowly move the plates until the correct alignment is reached and the gears mesh correctly, and clamp the lower plate to drill press table.
    Remove the upper plate, in this case, and take the wheels out. Install the new bushing, reinstall the plate on the secured plate. Using the correct drill bit, drill the new hole, perfect!
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Much easier than what I was doing. I was using two pivot tools to get correct depth measurement been pivots. Then used a compass to scribe the distance on the newly installed bushing. This had to be done to two sets of wheels, the bad one and the each one it mates with, to get a location to drill. Where the lines intersected was the location of the hole. Worked, but a bit of a pain and could not be done with all the gears installed to make sure the entire train ran smoothly.
    I don't usually find much worth sharing that hasn't already been posted, but this worked great!
    Thanks to my Brother Karl for the tip!

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

[/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing, Jim! Amazingly useful information, and a great help to those of us who love the wooden movements! Warmest regards, George

3. Jim Burghart

Jim Burghart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Upstate NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks George.

Wood works are my major focus, both for collecting and repairing. I have always loved working with wood.

If anyone has another method, I would love to hear about. I usually have luck solving repair problems by searching the forum, but never saw this method before.

Jim