Metal balance hole jewel?!?!?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Rick Hufnagel, Jun 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I picked up a nice Hampden model 3, grade 59. Or so I thought

Got it all torn down and found that the balance cock has a metal bushing machined to fit instead of a balance hole jewel. On top of that, the balance cock is bent up because they got the thickness wrong on their makeshift bearing.

What kind of crazy witchcraft is this!?!?!

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Surely the correct balance hole jewel would have been way less effort.

Here's the kicker, the staff looks great! I expected the pivot to be all chewed up and it's not at all.

Looks like I'm going to have to put the correct jewel in, and try to bend the cock back somehow.

I tried to take some pictures, but parts are just too small.

Any thoughts? Has anyone seen this madness before?

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #2 musicguy, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    It always seems that the right way should be the easiest
    way, but I've seen some crazy stuff myself.

Rob

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently had one similar. An incorrect jewel and the balance cock bent up to compensate. I was wondering at the time if there was any more scientific method to bend the cock back to its correct position rather than just trial and error.

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave... I'm on trial #3,980, and that many errors too

5. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had to straighten balance cocks more times than I like to think of, and the best way **I've** found is to screw it down to the dial plate (without the balance, of course) and eye-ball it. When it looks right to your eye, you must (or course) carefully measure it to make sure it's really parallel to the plate.

Remember that when you bend it down and then release it, it **will** spring back up a small amount. Also, don't try to bend it too much at a time.

Good Luck!

kevin h likes this.
  6. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the tip Harvey.

I actually replaced the metal bushing with the wrong sized hole jewel, soooo I have to wait to get the correct size.

I know someone who's gonna smile at that tidbit......

Hey, nothing to it, but to do it.

7. kevin h

kevin h Registered User

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    cambridge md
    Country Flag:
    I just finished a 18s Illinois lincoln 21j that had this butchery , :( , it had 16s jewels ( i think) the roller jewels got "glued" to the staff , the little double roller was just floating ! the surprising thing was it was just slow about 10 mins . I use Harrys method , make sure your jewels and staff are correct , remove the balance and screw down the cock and apply pressure , a few tries I usually get it , but I always wonder is it right or angled to one side etc .

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  8. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! Amazing what happens out there.

This Hampden is a nice movement. 15 jewels... Adjusted, second highest in the lineup at the time. Hope it comes out ok. Not only was it bent up, but twisted as well. Tomorrow is actually going to be the go-no go day. I have tomorrow night to work on it. Hopefully....

I'm kinda worried about stripping the screw by pushing down on it too much but I'll try it, I have it un-twisted (I think) and we shall see!

I've got a 16s Elgin with a glued up roller table and jewel and it runs about 5 min fast a day. Haven't gotten around to digging into it yet to fix. Those roller tables don't fit new staffs sometimes... There's a couple waiting around for me to either find parts or learn how to fix it. The roller destroyer punch does not work. And I read on a recent thread it's not good anyways.

Glad to hear you got your illinois together! There's hope!