Message to Moderators

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
Gentlemen, I recently spent a paranoid twenty minutes looking for two threads which were no longer here. I finally found them in the "Complicated Pocket Watches" forum. I thought it was usual practice to leave a "trail" so one could know something had been moved. Or am I being silly and missing something? At this age it's quite easy.
Paul

Reactions: Allan C. Purcell

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Paul,

When we move a thread to a different forum we usually leave a "re direct" thread
in the original forum and we also notify all of the people who posted in the original thread(including OP)
that it has been moved by message(with a link to the new thread). The "re direct" post only lasts a few days.
Sorry if there is any confusion. I hope that answers your question.

Rob

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you can always use google to find your posts by add 'site:mb.nawcc.org' to your search params, i.e...

purcell beckford site:mb.nawcc.org

and, if you tell me which posts you're referring to i should be able to look up the history and confirm whether we provided redirects or not.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I am the one who moved the threads and I believe that I do leave a message lasting one to three days. Complicated watches are complicated in that they can be on either this or the complicated watches forum.

My practice is to leave threads with complicated watches i.e. repeaters and chronographs and more complicated in place here until I judge the thread has run its course here; and then I move them to the complicated forum to get them more play. Frequently Phil adds some great material on that forum.

I do not see the redirect so I erred and I apologize, mea culpa. I thought I had left such redirects and I shall be more careful on this in the future. I am sure I checked the box to do this but I did fail to check to see that the redirect was in place.

In the future, I will leave a longer redirect and verify that the redirect is present.

If you are looking for a thread on a complicated watch that is no longer here it is probably in the complicated watches forum.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Moving threads and/or individual posts can lead to frustration for various reasons.

It would be helpful if everyone who had posted could be informed, before the move was effected and I know that this does not always happen.

I appreciate that to do so will cause additional work for the moderators and I do not wish to make their task more onerous, but I think it would avoid the frustration.

Additionally, when a thread or post is moved, is it possible to place a 're-direct post' in the original location? For a thread, a 'closed' single post providing a link to the new location, for posts a single post at the original location providing the link. In both cases a one liner indicating the reason for the move would be helpful for future researchers.

John

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
authors are notified when threads or posts are merged or moved. redirects are typically for 1-3 days. there is a forum search engine, and one can also use google.

you can search your own posts, within a particular forum, or all forums. i typically use the more powerful google searches to find my previous posts and sometimes still can’t find them easily.

again, tell me which posts or threads and let’s verify what happened (or at least try to).

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Bruce

For those who are IT literate and familiar with the forum software, I don't believe the problem is locating posts. The issue is mainly frustration, for those who do not have the skills, and for those that do, when moves are made and authors are not notified - which happens.

I still believe leaving a link from the original to the new location is the sensible approach.

John

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
To explain usually. The tool for moving posts includes a box to check for the option of leaving a redirect and an explanation.

For the recent two threads I moved am fairly sure, as sure as my over 70 brain can be, that I checked th box and I do recall writing the explanation message. My experience and especially recent has been that the system does not always execute to request properly. My essential error was in failing to check that the redirect was actually in place. It usually is.

FWIW there is no reason not to do this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff