NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The new translation module is now working on the new message board.

If you copy and paste the address line from one of the threads here that has been migrated to the new board, and then edit the domain portion from 'nawcc-mb.com' to 'mb.nawcc.org' it will display the equivalent thread on the new board by looking up the translated identifier, etc.

I think I have also found the error that was preventing the redirection from this message board to the new message board. I will once again need to disrupt this board at some time to test that behavior.

If that function works, I will be ready for a final migration pass to the new board.

Ray, if you are comfortable with the look and feel of the new board, we will be ready to schedule the transfer after the redirection test.

The way the trap works on the new board is that any file not found (404) errors will be translated to display the top level of the board. That should probably be changed to display a page or forum thread that discusses the redirection and error trapping. I can do the change easily once the page exists. Doing it as a thread will need to wait until after the migration. It will probably be better as an FAQ page in any case.

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
We are close to making the move over to the new version of the Message Board. Some development work is still being done but the switch may be made in the next 10 days. We will update as final processes are completed.

I would like our users to visit the new VBulletin version of the Message Board Please check out the new Message Board Here.

There are many interesting features that users will be able to "grow into". One feature is you will eventually be able to choose from a variety different looking boards (skins) . You can change your choice through a link found on the very bottom left side of the new MB page. Not too many choices today but we will build more.

There are many improvements but some limitations. The move is being forced on us due to erratic service from the BBV2 version. The move to VBulletin should provide a stable platform on which to build for the foreseeable future.

Check it out, send us your feedback. (Please use "Message board Comments/Problems area for feedback.)

Ray Fanchamps NAWCC Message Board Administrator.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
There are a bit more than 300 users who have custom avatars loaded on the message board. I think we can move those to the new board, although that is not directly supported by the migration software.

8 of the users have avatars that are remotely linked to other sites. That feature is not allowed on the new board, so they will need to move their avatars themselves. The new board will import an avatar from a url, so it will be easy to move it.

In case you don't know who you are, the people with remote avatars are:

'Victor Tang', 45
'Steven Johnstone-Mosher', 69
'Andy Krietzer', 299
'Robert Miller', 454
'Larry Seikel', 466
'Dave Stiles', 1127
'pdaneau', 2174
'lonnyl', 4588

The numbers are user id's on this message board.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
No problem. "change an avatar" - less thana minnit. Surprised my name not there. Currently hosted by AOL.

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
Tom said:
There are a bit more than 300 users who have custom avatars loaded on the message board. I think we can move those to the new board, although that is not directly supported by the migration software.
Tom, what would happen if an avitar is migrated to the new board that does not adhere to the size requirements? I had to alter my aviatr's size to upload it to the new board.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I was planning to use the graphics package in PHP to resize the images to the maximum values allowed if they were too large. The new board needs the dimensions X and Y of the image as well as the size of the data and stores it in the database.

For a few hints about avatars and other pictures:
  • Avoid bitmaps - for any given height and width, bitmaps are always bigger files and may violate the size restriction.
  • Use a jpeg quality setting of around 70 - only graphics art experts can tell the difference between 70 and 100.
  • If the image is a cartoon or other restricted palette image, use a GIF rather than JPEG format.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The board is currently using the builtin GD functions to manage images. At this point it is part of PHP and seems pretty straight forward.

If ImgLib is the same thing, then yes.

This is the reference in the PHP manual http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
All of the builtin avatars on this message board are now available on the vB3 message board.

You access them through the user cp. There are currently 313 choices in 7 categories, including all the horological images that Jeff H. put together.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi Ray and Tom, (sounds like a tv auto repair show) :)

For the last 3-4 days I have been receiving a warning,highlighted in yellow,that states "Warning this page could be a scam.Proceed with caution". I was wondering if any other board members were experiencing this or if it is a local machine internal warning ?
Also,when do we as members begin our transition to the new board?
Thanks,
Bruce

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The change to the new board will be sudden. This board will need to be shut down and about 12 hours later the new board will be up to date and operating with the former contents of this board.

This board will be locked for inpt, but we will post a url that will allow you to look up material on this board if you feel that something did not get transferred properly.

Ray will select the date of the transfer. I will be shutting the board down for a brief time tomorrow and Monday to test the transition code.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi Sam this page in particular every time I open it I get the same warning message header also even though I am logged in it doesn't appear in the logged in users "whos online" list and I am continually told that I am not logged in when in fact I am.
How does one do a print screen?
Bruce

kirxklox

Deceased
Dec 17, 2002
Dardanell, AR
www.kirxklox.com
Country
Region
Print Scrn is usually on the Top Key Row after F12 Key. Then go to Paint and open Edit and Paste. Then I crop to show what I want so I can upload to this MB as an attachment. Save as a .jpg

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
What INFO Sam? Do you mean knowing that something called ImgLib exists? A reference url to a source of information would be much better than a statement of existence. :???:

Try Googling ImgLib and see what you find.

The PHP manual for the GD library will probably be sufficient for me to do what needs to be done. :cool:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Sorry for the confusion, we seem to have two threads intermingled here. The above post was part of the image resizing discussion that Sam and I were having.

kirxklox

Deceased
Dec 17, 2002
Dardanell, AR
www.kirxklox.com
Country
Region
Tom: What you found was what I was talking about. It describes how to write the programming to make ThumbNails and how to resize images. I am still trying to get it to work like I want it to. More depth in programming.

I pulled the info from the PHP references on cPanel.

I was also trying to find out why Bruce Barnes computer is marking this SITE as SPAM.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Unfortunately, WestHost does not provide cPanel, so I have to go to the PHP site directly and the information is organized a little differently.

I think we are basically on the same page.

If I can find or put together a function that will do what we want, I will put it up for you or whomever to use. I think there is one that is basically complete on the PHP discussion, but it works with a file rather than with the contents of a binary field.

kirxklox

Deceased
Dec 17, 2002
Dardanell, AR
www.kirxklox.com
Country
Region
No, not what I meant. We are trying to store an image, Resize and store to another file, and then call those images to various pages to set up multiple Web Pages that are used for different functions. Then there is the 2000 file limit to worry about.

We can make the Thumbnails work at whatever size we desire. It is the use of these files that is convoluted.

Be careful of the Vars that they use. One of them is incorrect and will give you incorrect results.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
This is the code I am planning to use. I just wish it used a variable holding the image instead of a path variable that points to the image file. When the image is a blob in the database, the file adds an extra step.
Code:
<?php

$source_pic = 'images/source.jpg';
$destination_pic = 'images/destination.jpg';
$max_width = 500;
$max_height = 500;

$src = imagecreatefromjpeg($source_pic);
list($width,$height)=getimagesize($source_pic);

$x_ratio = $max_width / $width;
$y_ratio = $max_height / $height;

if( ($width <= $max_width) && ($height <= $max_height) ){
    $tn_width = $width;