• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Meshuge message board

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Note to administrators: Message boards and forums are not new technology. There are systems all over the internet which perform these functions quite gracefully. Please restore the old system and continue to debug the new system, offline, sparing the members any further annoyance.

Ray Rice

Reactions: tarant

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
ooh, that's new, I can reply!

They are working very hard to sort it out, things did not go as planned but there was an awful lot of effort put into testing and trying it first.

We must be patient and give them a chance to sort it out, it is a fantastic resource, and the aim has been to keep all the old while moving to the new, that is a very tall order.

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Note to administrators: Message boards and forums are not new technology. There are systems all over the internet which perform these functions quite gracefully. Please restore the old system and continue to debug the new system, offline, sparing the members any further annoyance.
Ray Rice
ray -

as much testing as possible was done on the new forum software before attempting the transfer.

lots of things have come up during the transfer that were unforeseeable until actually attempting the transfer.

some people have been working straight-through the weekend addressing issues as they come up. i'm going with 'appreciative' rather than 'annoyed'.

bruce

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Having been involved in a few migrations I can appreciate what the team is going through. The last major migration I was involved in had 23 programmers, and a dozen or so hardware engineers/system analysts working and 3 or 4 program managers as well as 3 hardware companies. And that little migration took a week 24x7. I am thinking we have a lot less resources to apply to this effort and I thank the team for all their hard work. And I suspect they will get the wrinkles ironed out fairly soon. I am impressed so far....

Last edited:
Reactions: novicetimekeeper

Willys_1

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2013
Pleasant View, Utah
Country
Region
I'm excited to see how it turns out. Does anyone know what features and functionality will be new and improved? I'm hoping that the search features work better.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Picture handling is said to be improved, I rather fluffed my first attempt but it was certainly easy to upload a pic (I seemed to do a lot of duplications)

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
Finally got logged in. Not sure what I did different, but I'm in and that's what counts.
I'll be sending The NAWCC the invoice from my therapist for treatment of message board withdrawls.

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
There's still no access to the Message Board Help (for logged user - sic!).
Most of the photos disappeared or links to attached files are wrong.
There's no location info (town, country, flags), instead are "likes" and stars. Are we on facebook??

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
It is still there. When I hover it says "loading" and then the first part of the first thread appears.

David

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
They will be working on it, I am sure. In the mean time it seems my photo album is gone and I can't find any of my threads :(

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Peter,

If you go to your profile and click on attachments, every pic you have ever uploaded should be there. However they are no longer in date order, may be difficult to find, presumably there is a search facility.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
There's no location info (town, country, flags), instead are "likes" and stars. Are we on facebook??
That's a real loss. The flags and locations not only show the great diversity of contributors, they were helpful when recommending sources for parts and tools. Without knowing the location one may recommend a part from a US supplier to someone in the UK or South Africa, (or the other way around). I would like to see that feature returned!

RC

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
Signatures also disappeared. And, today, NAWCC member banners :( Thumbs down.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Ray sometimes a little patience goes a long way. The people that make this mb run are non paid volunteers, they are working as quickly as they can to de bug,

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
The country flags were visible in the test version. I hadn't noticed that they're missing now that we've gone live. I'll look into it.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Peter,

If you go to your profile and click on attachments, every pic you have ever uploaded should be there. However they are no longer in date order, may be difficult to find, presumably there is a search facility.
Not so - most of my recent attachments are missing,

John

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
We have all available resources working on the attachments issue. It is complicated by our firewall setting at HQ in Columbia and elements in the software that protect against hacking.

None of the images have been lost. All of the storage from before the move is intact in its original location. We will re-establish the connections as quickly as we can.

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
The country flags were visible in the test version. I hadn't noticed that they're missing now that we've gone live. I'll look into it.
They are already visible, but only in Conversations (PM)
FireShot Screen Capture #072 _58741.jpg

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
That's also true of signatures - visible in conversations, missing in normal posts. I've been looking for the cause, but haven't managed to find a fix so far.

Last edited: