Merry Christmas (And a New Junghans)

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
As a bit of a treat for me, my parents surprised me with a lovely looking Junghans westminster clock for Christmas. If anyone could give me catalog information about it (name, cost when new [not asking for current value of clock], etc), that'd be nice. It is dated B08 on the back, putting at the second half of 1908. It has the 103 EH movement which unfortunately has lantern pinions throughout the movement and no leaf pinions. Was this just a way for Junghans to cut costs on their movements? They usually have a mix of leaf and lantern pinions in their movements, and this seems like one of their TOL clocks at the time so I'm a bit shocked as to why they spared using leaf pinions. The plates are still relatively thick, however. The movement could use a clean.

Otherwise, I'm more than happy with it and I love the inlay work done on it. Here's some pictures of it.

Hope you all are having a great Christmas.

IMG_7388.JPG IMG_7383.JPG IMG_7384.JPG IMG_7386.JPG

Reactions: THTanner

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
As a bit of a treat for me, my parents surprised me with a lovely looking Junghans westminster clock for Christmas. If anyone could give me catalog information about it (name, cost when new [not asking for current value of clock], etc), that'd be nice. It is dated B08 on the back, putting at the second half of 1908. It has the 103 EH movement which unfortunately has lantern pinions throughout the movement and no leaf pinions. Was this just a way for Junghans to cut costs on their movements? They usually have a mix of leaf and lantern pinions in their movements, and this seems like one of their TOL clocks at the time so I'm a bit shocked as to why they spared using leaf pinions. The plates are still relatively thick, however. The movement could use a clean.

Otherwise, I'm more than happy with it and I love the inlay work done on it. Here's some pictures of it.

Hope you all are having a great Christmas.

View attachment 412209 View attachment 412210 View attachment 412211 View attachment 412212
Very nice!

Regards.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Thanks!

I'm going to post a video of the chimes soon.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
A fine clock. Many of the older American-marketed Junghans chime mantel clocks were imported by Bawo & Dotter of NYC. Unlike other clocks they were not always part of a named lineup so they won't be marked with anything different from the norm. They were effectively middle-range clocks, well made but still below the highest grade 'Elite' offerings. The three train movement was a development from Junghans' first Westminster chime movement which actually composed of two movements set atop one another. Its most obvious improvement was the ability to chime on all quarters instead of just the top of hour.

Reactions: ClockCollector

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
A fine clock. Many of the older American-marketed Junghans chime mantel clocks were imported by Bawo & Dotter of NYC. Unlike other clocks they were not always part of a named lineup so they won't be marked with anything different from the norm. They were effectively middle-range clocks, well made but still below the highest grade 'Elite' offerings. The three train movement was a development from Junghans' first Westminster chime movement which actually composed of two movements set atop one another. Its most obvious improvement was the ability to chime on all quarters instead of just the top of hour.
Very interesting. I thought B&D primarily dealt with Mathias Bauerly's line of clocks (Monastery, Peerless, & Elite), but I did not know they offered a range of other german clocks. I do recall the piggyback setup that Junghans had for a while. Ting tang on the quarters, and then the chime mechanism was tripped on the hour to play the westminster melody. Was this the first full westminster movement Junghans made? I've seen ones that were made later in 1912 that are very similar to the 103 EH movement but have leaf pinions on the lower portions of the trains.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Here's a link to a video of the clock chiming.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Yeah. I guess I just prefer seeing a leaf pinion on the second wheel instead of a lantern pinion bearing all of the force from the mainspings, especially from the stronger chime mainspring. Ansonia's TOL A26 movement also had only lantern pinions. Seth Thomas' Sonora chime clocks use lantern pinions throughout, unless it is the 8 bell version which has leaf pivots in the chime unit.

I guess it's just a bit curious that some of middle to high end clocks of the time still utilized lantern pinions. The cases were made to look very pretty and they were sold at an above average price, so why not add leaf pinions instead?

Last edited:

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
I wonder if perhaps Junghans did not yet have the machinery set up to cut leaf pinions for their westminster type movements, explaining why their later varients of this movement had a mix of leaf and lantern pinions. Either way, it's a great clock and I really enjoy it.

The movement is suprisingly quiet. Most of the movements of the same kind that I've seen on Youtube make lots of clicking noises as the rack is advanced, but this one is pretty much silent when gathering the rack.

Last edited:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Very interesting. I thought B&D primarily dealt with Mathias Bauerly's line of clocks (Monastery, Peerless, & Elite), but I did not know they offered a range of other german clocks. I do recall the piggyback setup that Junghans had for a while. Ting tang on the quarters, and then the chime mechanism was tripped on the hour to play the westminster melody. Was this the first full westminster movement Junghans made? I've seen ones that were made later in 1912 that are very similar to the 103 EH movement but have leaf pinions on the lower portions of the trains.
The movement used by your clock was the first type that I'm aware Junghans produced with 4/4 quarter chimes. B&D's first Junghans clocks used the double movement setup, distinctive by the odd winding arbor layout and a fairly large case top to accommodate the second movement. The inlaid cases were popular during the 1900s-1910s.

I do not think the use of lantern pinions necessarily denotes a lower quality movement.

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
Nice clock. . . this model has a great mantle presence. I have an earlier version, '06 , no inlay and slightly different upper molding.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions