Mercury Pendulum

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am using this mercury pendulum in my IBM model 35. I was wondering if anyone might recognize it and know its origins? It has plated metal jars with threaded caps on both ends. The rod is slightly larger than the 1/4 inch rod on my invar pendulum.

Attachments

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
If you can supply detailed photos of the top and bottom frames, adjusting nut and top of rod attachment to the suspension spring I will try to identify it. I have been collecting mercury pendulums for many years and have many identified as to maker.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
JK, I can't get any response from the attach files box right now. If you email me I can send a detailed closeup photo to you of this pendulum

H.Weiland

Deceased
Deceased
Feb 4, 2002
www.execpc.com
It looks similar to my Self Winding master clock pendulum. The screws that hold the mercury tubes in place seem different. Will check when I get home tonight. It seems to me that I was told by a former employee that S. W. C. C. pendulums came from Seth Thomas.

Hope this is of some interest.

Henry Weiland

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks, Henry. I looked through my Seth Thomas books, and saw nothing similar, but there isn't much in there with mercury pendulums. It has a 4 spoke regulator on top for fine tuning. It is quite accurate. I installed it 3 weeks ago, and I haven't touched it for two weeks now, and it is only out about 1 second.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Harold, I notice the photos in your message show as "Attached Images" instead of "Attached Thumbnails". They don't open to me either, think you need to check when you upload that the file size is big enough to create a thumbnail.

John Hubby
>>>>

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
John I think I will have to take some fresh pictures, as I ruined these trying to get them small enough to post. They were originally sent to me in an email. Lets see if this one is any better :thumb: Much better!!!

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Last edited:

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
I thought I would post the one on my Self Winding Clock Co. clock. It is somewhat different from the one that Harold posted. Don't know if they made their own or not but it is shown in LY's American Clocks Vol 2 in the SWCC section.

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Very similar, Richard.
Mine has a fine tuning adjustment on the top of the cylinders that is rated at 1/4 turn equal to one second per month.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
I have read that some of the SWCC ones and others had the tray above the pendulum bob and a set of small x gram weights to fine tune the rate of the clock. Will have to see if I can find where I read that.

Haven't seen a set of these small weights but would like to:p

Best,

Richard T.

paradise

Jun 24, 2007
florida
Country
Region
I have a few SWCC mercury pendulums and both are different from the one pictured here. The most obvious difference is the brass base and top. The base is shaped somewhat trapazoid for my lack of a better word, It is widest in the center and tapers down at the ends. That difference alone is enough to rule out IBM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller