• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Mercer Ships Clock Info Needed

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
I picked up a Mercer time only ships clock yesterday. Doing a little internet searching I only found information on their chronometers.

This clock is in a solid brass case and has a brass dial signed Mercer. St. Albans England. The serial number on the back plate is 007312. It's marked on the balance British Made, with a logo of an escape wheel. Inside the logo there's an A with a BEC inside a square. Nice quality movement and runs like a top.

I have a couple of questions. I've seen several Mercer Chronometers, never a ships clock, Are these rather scarce? Can anyone date this by the serial number? Any info would be appreciated....Thank you, Chris.

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
I figured one of our message board members from across the pond could help me out here. Any takers?

P

Peter G Mitchell

Hi Clocks4u,
I don't think you will have much luck on dating your clock by the serial number as I don't think any records still exist for cabin/bulkhead clocks, I'm pretty sure Tony Mercer was only interested in saving records of chronometers, you say your clock has a brass dial is it painted or engraved and silvered, you say the platform is an ABEC, has it any other markings next to the balance EQMF for example,a photo of case and movement would be helpful in taking an educated guess at the age.
Peter

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Peter....The dial is engraved and silvered at one time. Most of it has worn off. That is an easy fix though. There also is an E something on the balance. I didn't write it down but I did take a picture. I'll upload them shortly. It is a very heavy clock for it's size. Looks to be cast brass.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/clocks4u/mercer1d.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/clocks4u/mercer1e.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/clocks4u/mercer1f.jpg

P

Peter G Mitchell

Hi,
The cabin/bulkhead clock case had a cast brass rear flange and cast bezel with a brass "tube" in between, the bezel was fitted wih a flat bevelled glass, they were produced in Brass, nickel and penny bronze finish, the platform on your clock looks to be an EQM, the only difference between the EQM and the EQMF was the finish the EQM was gilded the EQMF had a brass lacquered finish, Mercers also made the clock in a centre seconds version. Now to get to the question of age and rareity.
Your clock plates looks to have gold paint stove enamelled finish I think this started to be used in the mid to late 1950s, I have a centre seconds version of your clock serial number 12531 this has stove enamelled plates and dates from the early to mid 1960s (I know because I made it)
These clock were mainly made for shipping lines and weren't marketed to the general public and Mercers were not a large volume producer the instrument and chronometer shops being quite small at that time, the dial and air gauging side being the largest part of the factory.
Peter

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Peter....Thank you. I took these pictures before I put it back in the case. I'll try to add one later today.

The case is heavy cast brass and is in good shape. I am pretty sure the dial was silvered at one time. I can still make some out around the outside edges of the dial. Is your silvered?

Chris

Oldfathertime

Sep 8, 2010
S.West U.K.
Country
Region
Hi all.
Firstly, just a brief introduction. My first post on this forum and just a beginner so bear with me. I've been fascinated with clocks and watches ever since a small child when I dismantled a fully wound mantle clock and one of the cog wheels took off and cut my leg, I think I was about 2 at the time! Over the ensuing years I have collected a small number of clocks and watches but nothing very exciting.

Back to my subject. I purchased in a secondhand/bricabrac shop today a very weighty Mercer ships bulkhead clock and have attempted to research it. This clock is key wound, above the 6. It has a white painted dial with Roman numerals, a seconds sweep dial below the 12 with the regulator S & F slot/ajuster above the sweep dial. The hands are blued steel. The name (retailer/supplier) Dobbie McInnes Ltd above the winding hole and the makers name Mercer St Albans England below. The clock itself is large, the dial width including the bezzel measures 6 and 3/4 inches and its total depth is 4 inches. The case is chromed brass. It seems to date, from what I have found out, from around 1904 by Googling 'Mercer St Albans' and following the link to the Companies history, which is very interesting. This clock is in very fine strong working order and condition and I am chuffed in finding and acquiring it. It even has the key. Under the rim of the bezzel is the number (serial number or case number?) 1111.
Sorry for the long-winded post but thought this would be the most apropriate place to add this post.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, oldfathertime, welcome to the message board. Sounds like you have found a great old ships clock. Post a few pictures so we can enjoy it too:thumb:

jerryh

New User
Mar 31, 2012
Hi Oldfarthertime,
I thought i would drop you a quick line, i think i have just purchased the matching Barometer for your clock!!
Do you still have the clock? It's a lovely piece in better condition than the Barometer.

Best Regards

Jerry

Journeyman

Feb 12, 2007
Exeter Devon UK
Country
Region
Hi Odlfathertime

A photo of the movement would be very helpful in dating the clock I have doubts that it is as early as 1904 as I believe the style of the Mercer logo on the dial came in around the 1950s

Peter

jerryh

New User
Mar 31, 2012
Hallo to you all,
Would any one have some info for this Mercer Barometer? It looks like the sister piece the Oldfarthertime's Clock.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All The Very Best
Jerry
124438.jpg 124437.jpg

Journeyman

Feb 12, 2007
Exeter Devon UK
Country
Region
Hi Jerry

I'm not sure what information you are looking for Mercer did make barometers to match their cabin clocks, both clocks and barometers were made in 4" 6" 8" and 12" I don't remember seeing any larger cases but there could have been, the odd thing about you barometer is the case it appears to be a clock case with the spiggot for opening the case for winding and setting the hands on the clock I believe the barometer cases had no bezel pull or hinge the bezel being held on by grub screws around the bezel, I suppose when they made the barometer they had no barometer cases so they use a clock case.

Peter

CarlieJS

New User
Feb 28, 2014
Hi. New to the site and found this post interesting, I also have a brass bulkhead clock (Mercers of St. Albans - British ABEC Made, Back Plate Number 009900EQM, white dial with Arabic numerals and separate second-hand dial, bought for £3 at a boot fair, unfortunately after 20 years has now stopped working, a friends father repairs clocks as a hobby and tells me I need click ratchet, barrel & spring. Can anyone help. No photos as patient Mercer awaiting life saving surgery.

Journeyman

Feb 12, 2007
Exeter Devon UK
Country
Region
Hi CarlieJS

I probably have the parts, photos of you movement would be useful to identify the parts as the movements varied a bit

Peter

CarlieJS

New User
Feb 28, 2014
Hi Pete
Thank you for your reply, I will obtain the photos you require, once again thank you.

Kind regards

Carlie

HUDD

Apr 11, 2004
St. Albans, UK
Country
Region
Your Mercer bulkhead clock looks similar to one of mine that I'm repairing at the moment ( mainspring set ). Mine has no identification marks at all though. Here are some pictures. Perhaps someone can attribute and date this clock ? From the picture showing the barrel, arbour and cap you can see that it once had stopwork on the barrel cover. All that remains now is the hub with the arm ? missing.

Hudd 227872.jpg 227873.jpg 227874.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-