Marine: Mercer Chronometer 15265

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by HUDD, Oct 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Male
    Retired Chartered Surveyor
    St. Albans, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are pics and info on my Thomas Mercer Chronometer. Made in 1939 it was sent to MV Bulolo a passanger and cargo ship belonging to the Burns, Philp Shipping Co. of Sidney Australia. Comandeered by the Royal Navy later in 1939 and converted to an armed merchant cruiser providing support to the Mediterranean and Atlantic convoys. Converted again after a couple of years to an HQ communications ship and responsible for controlling allied landings in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and Gold Beach during the D Day landings. It also served as host to Churchill Roosevelt meetings and later in the South Pacific taking the Japanese surrender of Singapore. When the ship was returned to the original owners after the war the chronometer was retained by the Royal Navy until being taken off charge in 1970.

boardmulti.jpg Img_4590.jpg Img_4593.jpg Mercer_15265_Finished_2.jpg Mercer_15265_Finished_5.jpg

Mike

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great provenance. This would be a great addition to the Marine Chronometer Picture Gallery sticky. It deserves to not get "buried" over time.

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    I would like photos of chronometer movements taken with balance stopped. Just my choice since I like to see type of balances used.

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    It would be nice if text was somehow attached to the images, so you can appreciate and know what you were looking at.

Ralph

5. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Male
    Retired Chartered Surveyor
    St. Albans, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Doug Not quite sure how to do that ? Is it something the moderator deals with or do I need to re-post in the picture gallery section myself ?

Incidentally, I live in St. Albans about a half mile from the original Mercer workshop which still exists and has been converted to a pair of semi detached dwellings. The later enlarged workshop was demolished a while ago as part of a housing development scheme.

Mike

6. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hudd, what a wonderful Mercer. Thanks for posting.

7. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,
    The picture gallery at the top is an open forum and you can post pictures there.

Doug's comment was his opinion only, mine is that the pictures there will also move down the list as time goes on.

8. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see that there is a on obvious consensus among the subforum's participants on whether posts like these should be collected into the Gallery or not. I also don't see that other watch-related subforums have such a requirement—our stickied Gallery post is unique. I've made a post with a poll to gauge what people think.