Meet NOEL!

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Scottie-TX, Jan 23, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Scottie-TX, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Noel is VERY anxious to meetchy'all. I told him about you and he's not nervous. Why, "NOEL"? Well; Like "Chris" I found the day after Christmas - I discovered Noel wandering around looking lost on eBay day after this Christmas. . We talked and he said Texas sounded nice after this Maryland winter.
    A few details. I know y'alls like them. Noel hangs a scant two feet tall and claims a 3.5" dial. Noel miraculously runs a week on less than a pound with only eleven inches available for weight descent.
    Noel is GENuinely old and 99% original with NO question regarding marriage PLUS the case is of VERY high quality as well as the movement. A brassbacked bob also SCREAMS, "OLD" as well does the truly old, wavy, dimpled glass.
    Noel is the first TRULY miniature I've found worthy of my wall in three or four years. Specimens like this come up seldom.

Here; Behold, "Noel"!

Attached Files:

2. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw this on ebay, after you alluded to it a while back Scottie. Noel's a real beauty , real pleased you got him! Looks in fantastic order

3. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a gem! Nice score. Congrats.

4. ImPondering

ImPondering Registered User

Jul 12, 2013
    Region Flag:
    Very nice indeed. Do Noel and Lester get along okay? Or are they still getting to know each other?

5. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If he's not too shy, any chance of seeing his innards?

6. ghostdog1108

ghostdog1108 Registered User

Mar 13, 2010
    Eau Claire,WI USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Scottie-TX, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    No, IM, they really did not get along at all. Fack I had to put Lester on a different wall cuz Noel kept ribbin' him about his bald pate and what happened to his headpiece. Telling Noel that he also has two holes on top of his moustache didn't deter him tho.
    So yeah. There are two holes up there on top of Noel but there'll never be anything in them except air, long as he's mine.
    Also exposed another interesting abberation while preparing for display. Noel's corpse has a twist of at least five degrees. I compensate for it with the stabilizers and can't possibly notice from a front view. So that's Noel's to live with.
    Noel was stripped of age at some point. Looking like bare wood on arrival it was easy to see Noel was probably commercially stripped and recoated with some kind of possibly varethane or one of those synthetics, leaving it looking flat and bare. The wood is beautiful and looks like possibly some specie of dark mahogany. I suspect the stripping may have taken a toll on the backboard tho as most of it's grain personality is gone and now nearly ebonized following refinish. I added my touch by dusting it with clear lacquer to bring it up to a satin sheen, some places glossy.
    Naw DB; He doesn't mind - doesn't even know the meaning of the word, "modesty" All brass on movement, bob, weight, etc. was clearcoated. I find not a single blem on movement and NOT ONE bushing has been replaced! (WHEW!) Already running on arrival I could only make him run better with a cleaning, lube, and TLC. Few clocks arrive needing so little. Noel led a GOOD long life. He chuckles at calling me old. He's twice as old

Attached Files:

8. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting the movement, it looks pristine. I am really fond of weight driven time pieces, this is a dandy.

9. ImPondering

ImPondering Registered User

Jul 12, 2013
    Region Flag:
    Simple elegance!

10. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Noel could have looked for years and never found a better home that with you and your family Scottie! What a beautiful clock and as ImPondering said, it is Simple Elegance!

11. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also find no better word to describe the clock and in general, the Biedermeier era: Plain; Simple; Elegamt/ Only a bantam here has three finials and is not of biedermeier era. Two others here have only one and they are bottomset, half finials at base.
    Thanks for the many nice replies.

12. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 jmclaugh, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Really lovely clock and if he ever gets a hankering to travel I'll happily put him up.