Meditations on Breguet and Mathematics

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Richard Watkins, Sep 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

For some strange reason this "article" was never mentioned on the message board.

The main purpose of it is to examine the stop-work used in Breguet's self-winding watches, and consequently to show that his design has a serious fault. And I also conclude that even if Breguet had studied mathematics, there is no evidence of him using it.

It is available from http://www.watkinsr.id.au/Breguet.html

2. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Retired and free (with dog again!)
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 rstl99, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Looks like a fascinating article Richard. I wish I had the mental fortitude, and retained sufficient mathematical knowledge from my school days, to work my way through it.

On the subject of schooling, the limited sources I have read on Breguet suggest that his formal schooling ended when he was 11-12 years old. So there would not have been much if any advanced mathematical knowledge acquired before he left school. Your Section 6 expands on this with some possible further mathematical schooling he would have undergone during his apprenticeship.

3. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

My eyes glazed over while I was writing it, which is why I got help from a higher person!
    To some extent you can ignore the maths. The explanation of how the stop-work may have been constructed and the animations are more important.

4. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Retired and free (with dog again!)
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the suggestion Richard, I'll have a read through it and look at those animations.