• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Mechanical switching vs transistor switching

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Will a Junghans mechanical switching ATO use up a battery faster than the Kundo transistor switched? Kundos typically seem to need a "C" cell, but one I got yesterday requires a "AA". Iy's the same cock, but apparently they figured a "AA" is sufficient. I hooked up my Junghans with a "AA". I'm wondering if the contact switching will use more juice than the transistor. When it comes to electronics, I'm about as ignorant as one can get. My common sense says yes, it will draw more.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
There are a couple of factors that don't depend much on the switching methodology. How long the battery will last is determined by how long the coil is conducting current during each beat and how much current it draws during that time. The transistor is just a switch, like the contacts. I run one of my Kundos on a single "AA"" and it lasts about a year before I notice the amplitude is starting to decrease.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I'm going to see how long the Junghans lasts, but I used a different battery, so I won't get any real data out of apples/oranges comparison. Next time!

ElectricTime

NAWCC Business
Sep 28, 2002
If you use alkaline, both batteries are the same voltage 1.5 VDC and the current capacity is 1.8 or 8.0 AH respectively - I found smaller AH lithium-ion batteries do NOT have enough peak surge current to run some stronger loads.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I'm using Harbor Freight batteries. The Junghans has the yellow where the Kundo has the bronze. There is a difference in thise batteries, the bronze last much longer and cost much more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracy K
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry