Me, born in Mena House East Melbourne.

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Omexa, Dec 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I am sort of stunned that the Catholic Hospital that I was born in still exists. My dad was in the Australian Militia from 1935 until 1946 and I think that at that time 1941 (When I was Born) the Hospital was used by the Military. Regards Ray

wbsimst029_3.jpg Mena House.PNG wbsimst029_1.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's nice that they preserve the old stuff! Even us :)

3. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    There’s more and more development going on in Melboume these days, so no guarantees how long the building will be around. One of the tricks developers were using was to knock stuff down, ask for permission later. There was a big fuss made when one of the oldest pubs in Melbourne got knocked down in this way, leading to a greater focus from politicians- so maybe we’ll try a bit more to keep our heritage in the future...

Taking Action To Restore Illegally Demolished Pub

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Much of everything gets redeveloped at some stage. Historical trust stuff might get away from the bulldozers but very little else does. I note that your images show that the building may still be there but it looks different. Much of my hometown has vanished under constant renovation. The hospital I was born in was opened in 1931 and is still operating on the same site and though much redevelopment and expansion has been done and the original main building has a new expanded facade, many of the original buildings still remain. We have been promised a brand new hospital but the money doesn't appear to be available as of yet.