Me and my clocks

poul

Jan 1, 2023
Country
I have some clocks that I collected in the mid 90's from flea markets and junk shops mostly (almost all packed away in boxes since then after a move) one of which is a 1939 herschede 5 tube hall clock. I had this clock in my office for 25 or so years and only ran it for about a year after it was professionally cleaned then stopped running it because it bothered other people in the office.

It and I are out of the office now and it's home. I'm in the downsizing faze of life so I put the tubes, weights, and pendulum on and it ran beautifully ...I put it on Marketplace and almost sold it just before christmas. After hearing the beautiful Westminster chimes again my wife didn't want to let it go so we get to hear the beautiful tick and chimes once again. Knowing I had a c.1920 Herschede tambour somewhere I dug it out, put it in the opposite side of the house set to Canterbury chimes. I have them pretty much in sync when one stops the other starts give or take a little bit. Really beautiful to hear them both.

My first post here a couple of weeks ago was asking about Herschede clocks and Whittington chimes because I was thinking about going for a trifecta but it seems those are pricey clocks and are out of reach. But anyway I've unboxed another clock that I have a question about that I will post in another thread...

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The older Herschedes are great in all aspects. Cases, dials, chimes, movements, everything. From the large tubular bell hall clocks to the smaller rod chime mantel clocks, Herschede had it all. Yes they can be among the more difficult clocks to repair but consider it a feat of horology to get one running again. A Herschede clock is a real treasure for life - no cheapo Quartz made today could ever compare.

The Canterbury/Westminster mantel chime clocks came out in 1926 and were produced up to the early 1930's. Best American mantel chime I've ever worked on.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
figak
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit