Maybe a Whiting Clock

Pat L.

NAWCC Member
Jul 28, 2003
Country
Region
This one was found in the garage of an estate sale last Thursday. The first two pictures show how it was found and the last two pictures show it roughly assembled.

All of the parts are there including the weights, counter-weights, pendulum and rod. Part of the hour hand is missing and the minute hand is bent. The dial is faded, but I think the signature is "R. Whiting Winchester" and the movement & hands also looks like Whiting style. The gear trains seem to work with a little finger pressure on the gears.

It's probably my oldest clock.

Whiting_1.jpg Whiting_2.jpg Whiting 3.JPG Whiting 4.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
An interesting longcase which seems indeed tall. The case is almost like an earlier longcase yet dates I think to the early 1800s and a painted dial. Anyway it deserves rescuing especially at that price.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This one was found in the garage of an estate sale last Thursday. The first two pictures show how it was found and the last two pictures show it roughly assembled.

All of the parts are there including the weights, counter-weights, pendulum and rod. Part of the hour hand is missing and the minute hand is bent. The dial is faded, but I think the signature is "R. Whiting Winchester" and the movement & hands also looks like Whiting style. The gear trains seem to work with a little finger pressure on the gears.

It's probably my oldest clock.

View attachment 608171 View attachment 608172 View attachment 608173 View attachment 608174
Not so shabby!

Is the case grain painted? If so, a big plus.

Yes, it does look like Whiting on the dial.

A full frontal pic of the dial would help.

Also, looking at the dial under a UV light may help, too.

A steal for $40! Congrats!

Uhralt
Where did he mention that?

RM

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
its sharpied on the box in the second pic.

this one seems like a very utilitarian model. I really dig it. my guess is that it is also from the early 1800's. can't wait to see what Jim DuBois has to say about this one.

Pat L.

NAWCC Member
Jul 28, 2003
Country
Region
An interesting longcase which seems indeed tall. The case is almost like an earlier longcase yet dates I think to the early 1800s and a painted dial. Anyway it deserves rescuing especially at that price.
Sorry, I neglected to mention the height of the case which is 89". The front door has a very nice, and still functioning, spring-return door latch. Another interesting thing is that the pendulum bob apparently struck the inside walls of the case while swinging, as a rectangular section of the case has been removed, made much thinner, and then replaced. The pendulum hasn't been hung yet, but the repair seems to be at the right position to line-up with the pendulum bob. I wonder if that resulted in a warranty claim against the cabinet-maker, or if the owner just repaired it himself. Pictures are attached.

Whiting_10.jpg Whiting_8.jpg Whiting_9.jpg

Pat L.

NAWCC Member
Jul 28, 2003
Country
Region
Not so shabby!

Is the case grain painted? If so, a big plus.

Yes, it does look like Whiting on the dial.

A full frontal pic of the dial would help.

Also, looking at the dial under a UV light may help, too.

RM
I don't think the case is grain painted, although I'm not very knowledgable about that. It just looks like old varnish to me. Attached are some pictures of the dial and movement. I tried to look at the dial with a uv light, but it didn't help. Maybe I'll try again tonight when it starts getting dark.

Thanks to all who took the time to look at this posting, and those who made comments about it.

Whiting_11.jpg Whiting_12.jpg Whiting_13.jpg Whiting_14.jpg Whiting_15.jpg Whiting_16.jpg Whiting_17.jpg Whiting_18.jpg

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
What's with the plugged holes on the dial? Kind of strange place. Certainly not an expert on painted dials. Someone here will help figure it out.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Faux painted "winding arbor holes" are quite common on woodworks clock dials. At least 1/2 of them in this display have the painted false winding arbors.

20190802_085919.jpg

Reactions: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Just to throw in an obscure factoid, there were some American ww shelf clocks that had pull-up wind movements where faux winding holes were painted on the dial.

For example, F & E Sanfords of Goshen, CT made such clocks which utilized Torrington 4 arbor ww pull-up wind movements. Like your ww tall case clock movement, the escapement was between the plates.

See Lanzo and Brown, "Norris North and His ContemporaryTorrington Clock Makers", pages 10, 15-18 and the figures therein.

RM.

Reactions: Jim DuBois
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5