Maximum load on jewel bearings

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by dandydude, Feb 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dandydude

dandydude Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Is there something like a maximum load on jewel bearings? I intend using 1.5mm ID olive hole jewels for the escapement pivots. Would an excessive weight (of crutch rod) damage the jewel bearing?

2. Phil Burman

Phil Burman Registered User

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    Sapphire has a compressive strength more than 10 times that of steel and of course is extremely hard wearing so I would think not, providing there is no shock loading.

Do you not mean the pivots for the pallet, if so is this not standard usage?

Phil

dandydude likes this.
  3. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I doubt the weight of a crutch rod would be too much. Jewels are used for mainspring barrel arbor bearings in pocket watches which would be much more pressure than anything on a clock escapement.

dandydude likes this.
  4. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dear Phil,
    I use an asymmetric crutch and its a little heavy to keep it moving with the pendulum. I was a little concerned with the weight. I intend using olive hole ruby bearings. Does ruby have strength similar to sapphire? (I am totally clueless about this)

5. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dear Allan,

Are you aware of how the assembly of the bearing done in clocks?

Thanks
    Dandydude

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi dandydude,

They're both the same material, aluminium oxide, or 'alumina'. They just contain slightly different trace elements which determine the colours.

Regards,

Graham

dandydude likes this.
  7. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi dandydude,

I agree with Allan that a crutch is unlikely to put enough pressure on a ruby/sapphire bearing to cause any problem.

This statement may be technically true but in practice it might be misleading.

Here is a view of some of the jewels that I spun set into their mountings before parting them off from the bar stock while still in the lathe:

DSC_2204a.JPG

Using the burnisher in the foreground, this is a process that has to be practiced to develop the required 'touch'. Not enough pressure and the jewel remains loose. Too much pressure and the jewel is crushed.

Because of the extreme hardness of ruby/sapphire the material is also brittle and the wall thickness of the jewels that we are working with makes them somewhat fragile.

8. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Jewels are plenty "strong" for pallet and crutch pivot bearings - they've been used for those for hundreds of years. As Jim says, they can be fragile if you apply point force, or otherwise bash them. Here are pics of my pallet cock jewels in place.
    Johnny
    12DSCN0777sm.jpg 13DSCN0780sm.jpg 14DSCN0773sm.jpg

9. Phil Burman

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    #9 Phil Burman, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Hi Jim, it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. I think that the applied force is not the same when you press a jewelled bearing into a hole versus the force applied by the weight of the pallet and crutch. When you press a jewel bearing into a hole you will generate tensile as well as compressive forces due to the drag on the side wall of the bearing, which may cause the trailing end to break away. Diamonds are used in hardness testers by pressing them into the material being tested, included hardened steels (copressive force only). In use with a pivot a jewel bearing is only subjected to a relatively small compressive force.

10. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Phil,

I feel that the question that was originally asked has been answered for dandydude.

My use of the word misleading was not intended to suggest that you were misleading anyone. I was concerned that others coming to this thread might get the impression that a person could treat a ruby or sapphire jewel the same as an equivalent steel item.

When mounting jewels, I do not press them into their holes before spin setting so there is no chance of a tension force being generated.

So as not to hijack this thread, I decided that I would post details in my own thread that discusses my own regulator movements.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/owner-built-precision-regulator.74057/page-4

11. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    #11 dandydude, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Dear John,

Thanks for the images. I wanted to understand how this is done. Is the jewel glued?
    i have attached a sketch to help you understand my question. I have roughly sketched your jewel assembly.
    Why doesn't the jewel come out of the side B?

Thanks
    Dandy

IMG20180316005317.jpg

12. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Dandy -- It's done like this: The jewel is a snug fit into the chaton (same as bezel), and the small groove around it is burnished over the edge of it with a smooth round-pointed burnisher. Look at the first pic in the #8 post above, and you'll see it
    Jewel setting.jpg Johnny

13. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dea
    Dear John,

Any particular reason for using straight hole jewel? I intend using olive hole jewel for escape wheel. Doesnt olive hole have less friction?
    I also read that straight holes are stronger, so maybe i would use them for the palets like you have... Is it because of better strength than you have used straight hole bearings?

Regards
    Dandy

14. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Dandy -- It's because that's the way they come out when I drill and polish them. I'm not sure I could control the shape and size of an olive hole jewel. I make these myself from raw ruby boules, and each one is slightly different. I'll be posting pictures of this sequence during the construction of my next clock, which I will be starting soon. Stay tuned.....
    Johnny

15. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Dandy, I also suspect that my jewels do have a minute amount of olive shape - the way I polish them they would almost have to, even if it was largely imperceptible.
    Johnny

16. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dea
    Dear John,

Any particular reason for using straight hole jewel? I intend using olive hole jewel for escape wheel. Doesnt olive hole have less friction?
    I also read that straight holes are stronger, so maybe i would use them for the palets like you have... Is it because of better strength than you have used straight hole bearings?

Regards
    Dandy
    Oh wow!!! I thought you buy stock ruby bearings ... I didn't know you could drill rubies !!! Thats really amazing

17. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    HI Johnny,

What size are the ruby holes? I am currently experimenting with 1.5mm ID (for the escapements).
    I have tried miniature ball bearings (which gradually failed), PTFE from Igus and now i am upgrading to rubies...
    I clearly know by experience how ball bearings can fail in escapements now

18. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Dandy -- My jewels are different sizes - mostly in the 1.25 mm range, to fit the pivots. The front escape jewel is quite a bit larger, over 2 mm I think.
    Johnny

dandydude likes this.
  19. Phil Burman

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    #19 Phil Burman, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Hi Dandy, I'm interested in what way they fail? I have used them on the escape wheel arbor but not the pallet arbor and after a year it is still running fine.

Phil

PS Erwin Sattler use them extensively so there must be a solution

20. tok-tokkie

tok-tokkie Registered User

Nov 25, 2010
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Certainly the Sattler self assemble clock uses ball bearings everywhere with the exception of the pallet arbor. That runs in jewels & Sattler supplies oil for them.

21. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dear Phil,

I have used 2mm ID ball races (Japanese made NMB)... at least 3 sets. The ones used for the palets failed much sooner than the ones of the escape wheel. I even tried using fully ceramic ones.
    They just get a bit rough after a bit of use. Currently my palets are running on PTFE plain dry bearings 1.5mm ID. Escape wheels on ball races (2mm ID). Its been working for a month. I wouldn't be surprised if they fail anytime soon. Thats the pattern i have been observing.

Regards
    Dandydude

22. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi tok tokkie,

I had read someplace that bearings are not meant to be run in a jerky fashion. I mean a non-continuous (if there's such a word) circular motion. I don't know if thats the reason for the failure. This is why Iam really trying jewels for both arbors.
    I am also going to try to use endstone in both the arbors (all four pivots)... I have never attempted it... which is why i have so many questions.

Regards
    Dandy

23. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Phil,

I also remember i met this really famous clockmaker one time. He said they remove ball races and clean the balls off any lubricant and put them back. They run it dry. I haven't attempted that. Maybe, thats a way of solving the problem.
    There's one other thing... i use shielded races. That could again be a problem...

Regards
    Dandydude

24. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    D
    Hello John,

Is this what they call 'the rubbing method' of setting rubies?

Regards
    Dandydude

25. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007

Hi Dandy -- I would think so.
    Johnny

26. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you might want to try Rex Swensen's site, he has done a lot of research on using ball bearings in clocks https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6If277wwdHNeGlYdlkteHJUWXM a great paper on his work, there is more, several folks are having very good success with absolutely dry running ceramic bearings

27. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dear Jim,

Thanks for the link. Quite enlightening.

Thanks
    Dandydude